Lost In Xi'an


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
October 12th 2012
Published: October 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After another highly nutritious breakfast of bircher musli and omlette (can I please take an egg station man home?? I just love the way they cook eggs so perfectly. Light, fluffy and no runny bits!!) we were off on our next marketing mission to Dream Overseas education agency. I'm getting quite used to sitting in the front seat of the taxi and holding my breath each time a car, bike or person seems to come too close. It's a bit like being in a dodgem car without anyone touching ...... yet. Anyway our presentations this morning went extremely smoothly. We finally have all modified our spiels sufficiently so that we create a good balance between marketing Victorian government schools while also highlighting the most attractive and individual aspects of our own school. This team approach seems to be working well and it's less tedious for the agents also.

Off to our next stop. A meeting with agents at EIC. Now imagine that to get there the five of us need to catch two taxis. This in itself is already a huge problem as to get two taxis empty to stop at the same time is quite difficult. Three off us eventually bundled ourselves off into the first taxi and Yonghong helpfully explained to the driver where to go. Great. Now we have an itenerary which we take with us everywhere with the addresses of each agent in both English and Chinese. All fantastic in theory but this time the agency had changed offices and because we couldn't speak any Chinese, no one knew where we needed to go. Fortunately a couple of lovely young people with limited English phoned the agency and the office receptionist was able to walk down and find us. Luckily they hadn't changed their phone number! Poor girl. Her shoes were so not suitable for walking anywhere.

After a fairly rushed presentation we were off to take the agents to lunch. It always amazes me how in amongst the least likely areas appear wonderful things. In what seemed to be an office area was an entire floor filled with shoes, a bit like the Myer bargain basement and then in what seemed to be an older business area was a very trendy restaurant. The food was as always in China amazing. The salad greens and noodles were delicious and then to top in off a whole duck carved before you, wrapped in the thinnest of pancake, thinly sliced vegetables added and dipped in a quince sauce. Now that's yum!!

Our final visit for the day was to Aoji. This visit seemed very chaotic, probably because there was a student there with his family who was hoping to study in Victoria and had a school already in mind, close to family. It's often difficult to tell how much some of the agents actually understand about the Victorian education system and even more importantly about our presentations. Anyway cards exchanged, brochures handed over and photo's taken. Another productive day in the office. Well my new office anyway which seems to consist of a plastic bag which holds my laptop, brochures, business cards and bribes. What else does a girl need?? Oh and money and tissues, just in case. More about toilets another time.

What to do after work in China? A massage would be nice! Fortunately in the last agents building, surprise, surprise, a place to be massaged. I say this because it wasn't like any spa or massage room I've ever been to. It actually reminded me a bit of Crown casino without the pokies and lots of bedrooms. Anyway four of us girls whisked off to a room with four beds and a pair of shorty pyjamas each to change into. Now although not quite like any massage I've ever had, it was very good and extremely relaxing. Walking away after it was over, even my feet felt a little less in pain wearing the heals. That has to be a positive.

Today's highlights:

1. A group presentation that finally looked well rehearsed and made each school look interesting and a great place to send your child.

2. Meeting two very generous young people who helped us find our way.

3. A very relaxing massage and hopefully a fantastic sleep tonight before our first 'seminar', whatever that entails??


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th October 2012

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it!
Any sight-seeing yet Chris? See you soon x
15th October 2012

Sightseeing
We got to see the gorgeous panda's in Chengdu and of course there is always the view from the taxi window.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb