Visited Schools


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
June 29th 2006
Published: June 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I have my notes from our visit with the Xi'an Dong Fang Ya Ti Vocational Technology Institute and our seminar with the Ministry of Education. Since then we have also visited Fudan Univerisity and spoken with the principal of the Fudan University affiliated Elementary and High Schools. I will combine some of the information covered here.

Here is some general information about China's educational system:

1) Students are required to attend school through grade 9.

2) Public schools are the schools of choice here. Private schools are considered not as good. This is because public schools are sponsored by the government.

3) Students take a test at the end of eighth grade to determine the educational path they will follow: university, technical college or no college.

4) Enrollment rate of students who attend college has risen from 4 percent to 20 percent in the past 12 years.

5) Over 500 Chinese universites aer qualified to accept international students.

6) In 2003 there were 77.715 international students from 175 countries.

7) In their equavilent to our CIS 110 they cover Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access. They use Windows OS.

8) Fudan University is ranked third in the nation. It has 2,177 faculty members. It offers BABS's in 79 disciplines, 201 Masters, 134 PhD's and 25 post doctorial programs. It has 26,327 FT students, 18,555 PT students, 5,757 Distance Learning students and 11,000 continuing ed students.

9) The Masters in China not equal to a Masters in USA.

10) The biggest challenge the principal of the Elementary School faces is trying to meet the standards set by central office which leaves her little room for freedom in curriculum development.

11) Students are given end of grade (EOG) beginning at the fifth grade. Those students who do not pass are not held back but are given extra tutoring.

12) If they discover a student has a learning disability they are certified as to the problem and then they are sent to government run schools which address those particular issues.

13) In Elementary school Math, Chinese & English are taught everyday. Music, Art, PE , Science Skills and Arts & Crafts are taught, but not every day.

14) A card is issued that records any financial aid payback and students who do not pay back their financial aid may not be able to find jobs.

Well I gotta run. We are going to a museum and a boat ride today.





Advertisement



29th June 2006

Ne How CCC
Hummm... Maybe Craven Community College can get some LONG Distance Learning students from China. Who knows, it may require another field trip. See ya SOON, Allen
29th June 2006

schools
All of this is so interesting, I hope you enjoy your boat ride. Pandora
29th June 2006

wish I was there
Ms Bambi, I enjoy reading your comments about ther land of mystery and the strides that a large population is making to better themselves. I have been to Hong Kong a looong time ago and if i remember everybody was doing something, and to hear you tell it nothintg is the same. Good take care and thanks
30th June 2006

They seem to have it together
Hey Bambi They really seem to be organized and have follow through. Were their facilities as nice as ours??? I can't wait until you get back
30th June 2006

Such interesting statistics
I find it so interesting to hear they learn English each day. It's not like we learn Chinese, each day. Hmm....that is one to ponder a little more.... I'm so glad you are having such a blast and learning and seeing so much. You've been terrific in getting all this info to us and sharing it on this travel blog. Awesome Job!!!
4th July 2006

Education
Interesting facts here. Thanks!
6th July 2006

No Students Held Back
I like the idea that no student is held back because of the EOG (which is only 1 test). It is great that instead of making the students that didn't pass the EOG redo a whole years worth of work, they receive help that they need and move on.
6th July 2006

School
I can't beleive they are done with school in grade 9. I guess they push their students harder than we are pushed. They do have longer days than we do. But still, I would have gone for longer days if i could have been done in the 9th grade!
6th July 2006

Schools
It amazes me how differant opinion can be from one country to another. I think the reason private schools are veiwed as better here is they cost money. We, Americans, think money means everything. In China, they see public as better because it is government owned. Thats cool.
7th July 2006

WOW
Wow...thats amazing i had no idea that there educational system is that much different than ours here in the US. It is so interesting that they take a test to determine what and if they go to college. i also found it interesting that they teach English everyday! thats quite impressive. Well have fun on your boat ride.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb