Whatalottateracotta


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
March 30th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Teracotta WarriorsTeracotta WarriorsTeracotta Warriors

This a general
Xian is home to the Terracotta Warriors. And it is one of the previous capital cities.

Having taken a lovely overnight train we were greatful to arrive in another nice Hostel. China surprisingly has great accommodation contrary to reports and the dorms are the best we have stayed in. Being China you get a duvet. This is definitely a luxury I have missed from home. Although in a hot country you clearly do not need one, just like back home there is nothing better than snuggling into bed under a big thick duvet (shame I am sharing my room with 10 other people). So, ten out of ten China for your hostels - clean, duvet filled and relatively inexpensive. Shame that Xian is full of thieving pickpockets who steal phones!

So here's the history bit...concentrate.....you never know when you could get a question like this on millionaire. The Terracotta Warriors were set to guard Qin Shi Huang's tomb. Basically, after this guy died a replica army were made from terracotta and buried underground (nearly 2000 years ago) . Pretty weird huh? The soldiers are of varying ranks and some have horses and charriots. They were all painted in the correct colours and had Jade, Leather and Bronze real weapons and decoration. Their hair is tied back in buns and they even have goatees. Kind of weird to make all this effort and then hide them underground, but hey, this is China. They were only discovered in 1974 when a peasant was digging a well, and for once China has done a tourist attraction tastefully. Clearly there are people selling postcards everywhere you turn and Chinese people offering to practice their English (code for charge you to be a guide), but they are effectively bannished to the outside. More importantly there is not a neon sign in site. Unfortunately this looks set to be changed with the Xian International Mall and Plaza under construction on its doorstep. Typical!

So, the warriors were great. Vault 1 is the largest excavation site. As you enter the hanger, 1000 out of an estimated 8000 figures, ranked in battle formation face you. This was definitely one of the more memorable sights of China. Averaging 1.8m in height (which is way taller than the average local) each soldier has different features and expressions and wears a mark of rank. Their arrowheads even contained lead to make them poisonous. Even the horses were kitted out for battle with harnesses made with brass fittings and 6 teeth as an indication that they are in their prime. The other 2 vaults are a lot smaller and the majority of the figures unearthed are broken and smashed making the scene look more like the aftermath of a battle than the perparation for one.

The place is incredibly impressive, especially when you are facing what appears to be an entire regiment on entry to Vault 1. So thankfully China is back in the goodboks!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Apart from this one...Apart from this one...
Apart from this one...

After dobbin made a break for it, the other hoses preyed they would not be next.
TWTW
TW

After guarding the tomb for so long, the warriors were shattered.


Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 33; qc: 144; dbt: 0.1608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb