Xi'an


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
July 23rd 2008
Published: August 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Don't know how many times I have said 'amazing' and 'magnificent' since I have started my trip, but I don't know how else to describe everything I have seen. My Vocabulary seems so limited - to have a thesaurus at this point would be helpful. There are so many facts to take in as well. The history f the Warriors and Emporer Qin (whose crazy idea it was to build this army) is so extensive and intricate. So, a few bullet points about the Terracotta Warrior Army.

* They were discovered in 1974 by a local farmer whilst digging a well.
* So far 6000 warriors have been unearthed in 3 pits/vaults
* It is estimated that only 1/20th has yet been unearthed - looking at the area of Qins burial chamber, the distance to the area discovered and how other burial sites are set out.
* They know the approximate area of Qins mausoleum, but not the exact location of his burial. It is illegal to open any royal tomb.
*The construction of the site and the army was commenced in 221bc and took 37 years to complete.
* The craftsmen were buried alive, to keep the mausoleum secret
Terracotta warriorsTerracotta warriorsTerracotta warriors

These are official copies made from the clay around the site and can be bought for ridiculous amounts of money.
and so the skills used in the arts and crafts were not passed on to sons, so no other emporer would have any kind of similar tomb.
* There was a peasant uprising 1 year after qins death - the warriors were smashed and the mausoleum burnt, so all the roofs collapsed and the tomb was lost.
* The 2 - half lifesize bronze chariots were probably placed over the entrance to the Tomb.

I'm sure I will have forgotten something, but above are some of the main points.

If it weren't for the Terracotta army I don't think I would visit Xi'an just for the city. Its a nice place, and is one of the 6 ancient capitals of china, but not as rich in culture and as scenic as other places. Unfortunatley alot of places are outshone by the magnificence and history of Beijing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Terracotta warriorsTerracotta warriors
Terracotta warriors

This one has its original paint
Terracotta warriorsTerracotta warriors
Terracotta warriors

Bronze horse and carriage. Half actual size.
Terracotta warriorsTerracotta warriors
Terracotta warriors

Bronze haorse and carriage
Xi'anXi'an
Xi'an

Cycling round the old city walls, this was my trusty steed for the hour, nice and rickety!
The Buddhist temple - Xi'an The Buddhist temple - Xi'an
The Buddhist temple - Xi'an

So much more modest than Beijing
Cycling on the city wallCycling on the city wall
Cycling on the city wall

I love this one. It was so funny to watch Dad struggle (in the heat) and son chilling out with his feet up.
Cycling on the city wallCycling on the city wall
Cycling on the city wall

Action shots. Was very funny cycling and trying to take photos.


Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb