Xi'antics


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
February 9th 2008
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Despite the reservations of my travel companion about the length of our stay in Xi'an, I am delighted that we had today to explore the many sights of this "north-western" city - as my Shanghai-calibre guide continuously refers to it, though it is clearly and firmly plonked in the eastern half of this ginor(year of the) mouse country, according to my map at least.

Hello to my Xi'aunties!

So, like, we headed off after the customary full Chinese breakfast, suitably clad in warmest woolies (us, not the breakfast), and hopped on the bus to the partly authentic and partly restored city wall, one of Xi'an's finest features and a sight for four eyes indeed. The wall is 14.5km around and wide enough on the top for the Cork hurlers to practise the long puck...sure what else have they to be at. The wall-top path is colourfully dressed up in New Year decorations and bicycles can be rented for 40 yuan (4 euroish) if you fancy a quick pedal around the circumference of the square. The towers placed at intervals (some minor thirds and I think I caught a glimpse of a perfect fifth) along the wall are magnificent examples of Chinese traditional architecture that really make you wonder why on earth boring Xi'angular concrete blocky buildings were ever introduced. The shame!

We took a quick splash in Asia's largest fountain, usually flowing continuously but reduced to 2 shows a day out of sympathy for its dried-up compatriots in storm-afflicted areas, then we swung by a temple and pagoda before taking a sweep through a very interesting but totally frrrrreezing Chinese writing museum. Go hoontuck ar fad, I kid you not. After that we taxied back, at a cost of 60 cent, to the hustly bustly Muslim area, where we again dug into the street-stall delicious delights for less money than you would spend on a box of matches, if you were so ink-lined (don't feint!). As I was browsing at a souvenir stall I heard the word "laowai" - one of the few words I know - which means foreigner, and turned around to see two conscientious parents pointing their wide-eyed young son towards this strange, whitish-pinkish creature from a far away land. We all smiled and waved, and I was glad to be a part of that special moment..twud bring a tear to your eye!

We returned to the Muslim street in the evening for a delicious dinner of lamb in various guises with the very drinkable and sinfully affordable Tsingtao beer. Yum.

Off to Beijing tomorrow for dinner with the chairman. Better get packing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0992s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb