Sunday in Xi'an


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
September 23rd 2007
Published: September 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A memorable birthday for Rod, Sunday was also filled with great times! After a leisurely breakfast at the Hostel, we explored a bit and ended up on top of the City Wall. The afternoon held more visits into the past with the Great Goose Pagoda, the History Museum, and the Great Mosque. Rod's birthday was celebrated throughout the day, and a late night flight back to Chengdu brought our Xi'an weekend to a close.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Happy Birthday, Rod!Happy Birthday, Rod!
Happy Birthday, Rod!

Rod's birthday breakfast complete with candles.
On top of the ancient City WallOn top of the ancient City Wall
On top of the ancient City Wall

This wall, built in 1370, surrounds what is now the inner part of the city. Outside the wall is a canal--once a moat, and a bridge--once a draw bridge.
Another great day for a bike ride!Another great day for a bike ride!
Another great day for a bike ride!

Biking on top of the wall
Great Goose PagodaGreat Goose Pagoda
Great Goose Pagoda

This pagoda was built in 652 AD. Monks who used it for transcribing were not allowed in the upper levels used for storage of transcribed scrolls. We paid the extra and climbed the tiny staircases to the top.
Xi'anXi'an
Xi'an

The city was well viewed from the top of the Great Goose Pagoda. Notice the clothes lines on the roof tops.
The Chinese were amazing artistsThe Chinese were amazing artists
The Chinese were amazing artists

The Shaanxi History Museum was filled with amazingly intact art relics. Many were dated from around the time of Christ.
Streets of the Muslim QuarterStreets of the Muslim Quarter
Streets of the Muslim Quarter

The Muslim Quarter near the Great Mosque
Snow White Birthday CakeSnow White Birthday Cake
Snow White Birthday Cake

When our tour guide, Raphael, learned it was Rod's birthday, he surprised him with a small cake at dinner topped with a sugar Snow White piece. The restaurant played canned music of Chinese children singing the Happy Birthday song in Chinese, then in broken English. Then Rod blew out his candles and ate Snow White.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb