No More Pencils, No More Books, No More Teacher's Dirty Looks!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
June 18th 2007
Published: June 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Night outNight outNight out

Erin and I with our friends at our favorite restaurant.
It's exam time now at our University and I couldn't be happier. We've been giving our tests for the past two weeks now and we're almost finished. Most of our final grades that we give are based on continual assesment so the test doesn't consist of very much. If the student was in class and participated then they get a good mark. If not, they just barely pass. We're not really allowed to fail anyone which makes it a little annoying to give proper grades. I can't tell you how many students I've given grades to this week that I've never seen before. I also feel a little bad for the students who have attended class and worked hard this semester because their grades are cheapened by all the others that we were forced to pass. It all works out though because our class is more preparation for the government English test than anything. The ones that put in the work are much more likely to pass than the ones who didn't come.
We've also decided to stay for another year. We will be staying at the same school and the same apartment. Our school has a very good program for foreign students who want to learn Chinese. It's mainly comprised of Middle eastern and African students who pay lots for the opportunity to improve thier language skills in order to study for their masters degree at a Chinese University. We talked to the director of our school and they are allowing us to take this program as well as teach next semester. They Chinese class is every day from 8am to noon, Monday through Friday, and it lasts for two full semesters. By the end of the course most of the students are expected to take the Government Chinese Proficency Exam. These students are mostly starting from scratch with their Chinese and end at a near fluent level. This is especially exciting for Erin and I because our Chinese is at about an intermediate level already. If we do well in this class it could open up alot of doors later in life. We will be attending the class in the morning and then teaching in the afternoon.
Over the summer we will be staying in the south near a town called Wu Han. Hopefully we will work for a month or two then travel a little. Althought, we're not sure if we have time or not. At the end of the summer we have to go to Ireland for Erin's friend's wedding. We won't be making it back to the States this summer but definately next year. There just isn't enough time in the summer! If anybody would like to come and see China, and us, we are more than happy to show you around.
Hopefully we will be doing some more travelling and hiking soon. When, and if, that happens I will post some more pictures and blogs. Until then, I hope everyone is well and that things are going well for you.
Joe

Advertisement



19th June 2007

Visit
I would love to come to China to visit you but that is out. OH! If I were just younger! I am happy you have this opportunity and will look forward to seeing you next year! Enjoy your blogs. Be sure to send one when you get to Ireland.
17th July 2007

So glad you share your adventure
Joe and Erin, It has been an extreme pleasure to log in and read about your unique experiences. Thank you so much for sharing both blogs. If you are ever back stateside and happen to be in Texas, we would love to see you both. Continue to update us greedy armchair voyeurs as you can. Love from the border.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb