Xi'an


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
March 13th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Xi'an

After a pleasant overnight train journey to Xian (we could switch the music in the cabin off) we arrived in Xi'an to find unexpectantly a man waving a "James Kilby" sign - bonus! We were staying right in the centre of the city overlooking the massive Bell Tower - where Ross and I actually rang the bell! There was just as much smog as in Beijing and it was only slightly warmer, but the city had a mix between modern high street shops and the old Muslim quater where you could pick up tasty arabic style kebabs.

It became more apparant that we were being stared at quite frequently by the locals due to our foreign-ness and height. Ross and I were literally a head taller than everybody which became especially apparant at the bars. The idea of a small bar with a 'bar' where drinks are sold has yet to infiltrate central China, instead there were two 'mega clubs', one spanning five floors with two dancefloors. Instead of a bar, you buy your drinks at a supermarket located inside and carry them to your table in a basket. There an attendent will bring you glasses and ice and watermelon if you so fancy. The floors and walls are made of flashing lights, and the whole place is patrolled by gurads wearing helmets.

We made a visit to the terracotta warriors, which I can say in reality differs somewhat to the picture built up by the media. Thinking I was going to find a vast army of thousands upon us I was somewhat taken aback by the several hundred that were uncovered - the rest were still buried awaiting 'better technology' to be developed before they disturb them. What this is no one yet knows, but I'm hoping its some kind of beam that will bring them to life. Still with some imagination it reamains an impressive feat, and I'm glad we went - even if only to see the billboards of the constuction project next door advertising things like "Following the International standard feature market opportunities, culture, natural scenery surrounding"!

See Ross' photos here:Xian!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb