Remembering Practical Writing...Dawukou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Ningxia
May 11th 2012
Published: May 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

In the past few weeks you have been reading about my experiences in China. Well, this week you have a break from my writing for a very important reason. My “Ladies”, whom I teach in Practical Writing, have taken over this newsletter.

Without further ado, I turn this newsletter over to them!

Better than the Bite
By Melanie

More and more people have died from Cancer. We don’t know how to restore health. But, when you hear this news report, you will be surprised and happy in it. Australia is home to the world’s ten most deadly snakes. Any one of them can kill you from a bite but someday their venom may save lives.
Promising cancer research using snake venom has led scientists at the University of South Australia to wonder why no one had turned their attention to the venom of Australian snakes, especially since they are known to contain a complex cocktail of toxins.
Associate Professor Anthony Woods and colleagues have identified a compound found in the venom of these snakes that may stop the growth of malignant tumors. And Woods discovered that, used at extremely low doses, the venomous compound kills the cells that line blood vessels in tumors, but not healthy ones.
Scientists believe that the ability to use the toxin as such a low dose makes it promising as a cancer treatment, however, more research is needed before it can be tested in humans.
Therefore, we also believe that we trust science and technology can help a person. And no thing is difficult to wise people. But people must also pay attention to their health. For instance, take note of your diet and lifestyle.

The Fair of Hope
By Ella

If it was not for Brad Pitt most Americans would never have heard of Namibia. Pitt, 42, a movie star for 15 years, was not just simply using his star power to force the celebrity press to cover poverty and disease. Pitt figured the Paparazzi might as well be dragged them somewhere that desperately needed the world’s attention, and he gave all the money to African charities. Moreover, Pitt has also been studying trade issues, diving into why much of Africa is so impoverished and how it can be turned around. The Pitt put up $100,000 to help sponsor an architecture competition that requires contestants to create affordable, multifamily housing for the city that is environmental advocacy and community focused. He says, “You want to grab as many of these kids in your arms as you can. They need our help and we should be doing more.”

Importance of Being Busy
By Betsy
Sometimes life becomes so busy that you feel as if you are the only person who is working harder than anyone else. However, the more things we have to do, the person have to spend more mental, physical and social way in these things. Due to this one’s own personal problems are out of sight, because the man is all the time is thinking of how to do all the tasks. Once they are out of sight they are out of mind. Each thing we do add to our experience. It shapes our thinking and makes us more organized.
Importance of doing sport
By Leah
People was very easy to disease. People usually eat more medicine to help lose weight However; the result is not very good. People never want to do sport. Because sport was very tired and spent many time. So people don’t like sport. But, medicine is very unhealthy. Maybe you never lost weight.
Sport is very good and very interesting. It can help you lose weight though you must spend large time doing it. When you are doing sport, have people accompany you. You will feel very happy and lose weight. Yes, sport can help you feel healthy.

San Francisco
By Cora
The best way to see this splendid city, where Spanish people were the first to make their homes, is to take one of the old cable cars which you ride down the main avenues. Fares are cheap; they have not risen for almost one hundred years.
Fisherman’s Wharf, a place all foreigners want to see, is at the end of the ride. People get out, pause to help the travelers to swing the cable car on its turntable. And then sets out to find a table in one of the happy little restaurants beside the harbor. As people enjoy the fresh Pacific seafood people can admire the bright red paint of the Golden Gate Bridge in the harbor and watch the traffic crossing.
People can enjoy a view of the city from the sea and take pleasure in the soft red and blue Spanish type housing shinning in the bright Pacific Light. The people of San Francisco prefer riding to walking while climbing up the steep streets.
With its hot sun and unique night life, San Francisco is a fine place to live in or to visit. It is the most European of all American cities. So tell yourself in the words of a song from the last century, “San Francisco here I come!”

Should the University be open to Tourists?
By Anney

currently campuses of many famous universities are becoming popular tourist attractions. It is reported that more and more people enjoy their holidays by visiting famous universities, such as Qinhua University and BeiDa University.
This phenomenon has exerted heated debates concerning “Should universities campuses be open to tourist?” The indicate that people’s opinion vary in a big way. Some people believe that it is a good thing to open university campuses to tourists while others argue that it is not.
What about your opinions, my dear readers?

Liking Ourselves
by Lydia

Secretly, anyone ever wants to be anybody else. However, handicapped or unhappy he feels himself, he would not change places with other more fortunate mortals. He grumbles over his misfortunes and wants his lot improved; but it is his lot and his personality that he wants bettered. This attachment to one’s own being is basic to human life. I may say that I envy you, but I don’t want to be you. I only want to have for myself some of your attributes or possessions.

Real Friends
By Rachael

Friends play an important part in our lives, and although we may take the friendship for granted, we often don’t clearly understand how we make friends. While he got on well with only a number of people, we are usually friends with only very few. Fore example, the average among students is about 6 per person. In all the cases of friendly relationships, two people like one another and enjoy being together, but beyond that, the degree of intimacy between them and the reasons for their shared interest vary enormously. As we get to know people we take into account the things like age, race, economic condition, social position and intelligence. Although these factors are not of prime importance, it is more difficult to get on with people where there is a marked difference in age and background.
Some friendly relationships can kept on argument and discussion, but it is usual for close friends to have similar ideas and beliefs, to have attitudes and interest in common; they often talk about “being on the same wavelength:. It generally takes time to reach this point. And the more intimately involved people become, the more they rely on one another. People want to do friends favors and hate to break a promise. Equally, friends have to learn to put up with annoying habits and to tolerate differences of opinion.
In contrast with marriage, there are no friendship ceremonies to strengthen the association between two people. But the supporting and understanding of each other that results from shared experiences and emotions does seem to create a powerful bond, which can overcome differences in background and break down barriers of age, class or race.

How to know others
By Kelly

The process of perceiving others is rarely translated to ourselves or others into cold, objective terms. “She was 5 feet 8 inches tall, had fair hair and wore a colored shirt.” More often, we try to get inside the other person to pinpoint his or her attitudes, emotions, motivations, abilities, ideas and characters. Furthermore, we sometimes behave as if we can accomplish this difficult job very quickly- perhaps with a two second glance.
We try to obtain information about others in many ways. Berger suggests several methods for reducing uncertainties about others who are known to you or you can compare the observed person’s behavior with the known behavior of other people. Observing a person in a situation where social behavior is relatively unrestricted or where a wide variety of behavioral responses are called for deliberately, structuring the physical or social environments so as to observe the person’s responses to specific stimuli. Asking people who have had or have frequent contact with the person about him or her, and using various strategies in face-to-face interaction to uncover information about another person, question, and self-disclosure and so on.”
Getting to know someone is a never ending task, largely because people are constantly changing and the methods we use to obtain information are often imprecise. You may have known someone for ten years and still know very little about him/her. If we can accept the idea that we won’t ever fully know another person, it enables us to deal more easily with those things that get in the way of accurate knowledge.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb