First few days in Tiefa


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Liaoning » Shenyang
June 15th 2009
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The first leg of our journey begins here in Tiefa, a small city of 250,000 close to Shenyang in the north. We are the guests of HaiHong's sister Haiyan and her family. The Chinese show extraordinary hospitality. The apartment is quite comfortable and Hayan's cooking is wonderful with liberal use of fresh vegetables even for breakfast.
We have had surprising little jet lag and have been starting our days around 5:30 accompanying HaiHong to TaiChi. There are several groups that meet each morning. Many people are in their 60's and perform with ease. We stood in the back row trying to iimitate the moves. On the second morning we were given a few pointers and it was a little easier, although to them we no doubt looked ridiculous. We were treated to a demonstration by the women in the group to a routine with fans. They were dressed in their colorful silk costumes and snapped the fans open and shut in unison. It was very beautiful.
Yesterday there was a festival of sorts in town. It has been 12 months without a fatality in the local coal mines so there was a gathering that included some singing and dancing groups. Once again some of the women performing were in their late 60's.
I have yet to see an overweight person. Many of the women wear dresses and heels as they go about town. Otherwise they dress in neat slacks and blouses. The men are all clean shaven and well groomed. Each morning there are groups of people sweeping the sidewalks with straw brooms so most garbage is picked up. The city consists of rows upon rows of tall apartment buildings. People grow flowers and vegetables in the little yards infront of the buildings. There are parks and play areas scattered around. Right outside town is a small mountain which takes about 30 minutes to climb. That also has been part of our morning routine.
Yesterday HaiHong treated us to massages by three blind masseuse. Michelle, her neice, lead us through the city to building #10 somewhere. She had to ask directions 3 times before we found the place. I had to wonder if it was a good idea. The little room however was spotless and the three were excellent. They are trained in massage since their sense of touch is more acute, being sightless.
Tonight there is fan dancing. Don't know what that is, but we'll be there to find out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb