Lead up to Christmas Dalian 2010


Advertisement
Asia » China » Liaoning » Dalian » Jinshitan
December 15th 2010
Published: December 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sorry about the technical glitch... It turned out it didn't lose the other half and the photos, it just published the first half of the text. I must have hit some key combination that set things in motion, sort of... Anyway, here is the real blog! Tourists in our own town We had decided to spend the weekend of my birthday at our favourite hotel in Dalian. The first problem was that the school’... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

PumpkinPumpkin
Pumpkin

Pumpkin carving is a big hit. For kids who have come late to the tradition, they do a fantastic job. Some of the pumpkins were really different.
CostumesCostumes
Costumes

An amazing number of kids "dress up" for the big party. Some even wore their costumes to school! Many of the kids like to "perform" so costumes give them lots of room for expression. The "girl" in this photo is actually one of Dianne's Grade 9 boys from last year!
Are these costumes?Are these costumes?
Are these costumes?

Rick and I are supposed to be wearing costumes. Some thought we just came in casual clothes. Of course, I had forgotten about the Chinese tendencey to refer to foreigners as "Big Noses". So I wasn't really in costume anyway. The kids thought it was funny.
Kids costumes Kids costumes
Kids costumes

Some of the kids really get into the costume thing. Literally. These three had to walk around together all night. Hope they were still friends by the end of the night.
ColourfulColourful
Colourful

There is a whole building in Dalian dedicated to tailors. They can and will make anything. You have to wonder what they were thinking when these teachers described the costumes they wanted.
Official Opening of Maple leaf Education ParkOfficial Opening of Maple leaf Education Park
Official Opening of Maple leaf Education Park

We had a beautiful day for the big event which was lucky because it was out doors. The place looks pretty impressive.
Sweet and DianaSweet and Diana
Sweet and Diana

were students in my first ESL classes in China. Now they are in Grade 11 and are part of the Zhou En Lai class, the top class where both academics and outside activities count. They are great!
9th Annual Swim Competition9th Annual Swim Competition
9th Annual Swim Competition

People from all over China and Russia as well as expats from many other countries gather each year for the swim competition. Clear day but pretty chilly.
Not really the Full MontyNot really the Full Monty
Not really the Full Monty

All the swim clubs march in behind banners, flags and whatever. This group got a lot of attention as they came into view.
Photo op with a foreignerPhoto op with a foreigner
Photo op with a foreigner

Everyone wanted to have their picture taken with a foreigner, especially one crazy enough to just wear a T-Shirt. Hey, many of them were just wearing bathing suits!
Lunatic fringeLunatic fringe
Lunatic fringe

Most of the events of the swim competition are held at the local pool. But part of the opening ceremonies sees bunches of people from the various clubs swimming their club float out into the ocean. I think the club that goes out the farthest gets bragging rights for the next year.
It's all overIt's all over
It's all over

The last club marched in, everyone heads for the beach and the take down starts. Within minutes there is no evidence that the opening ceremonies were even here. Amazing.
Recycle, Chinese styleRecycle, Chinese style
Recycle, Chinese style

The rest of the photos are a random collection of interesting stuff we have encountered on our travels. This truck was loading cardboard. They will load almost as much again before they take off with their load.
Daily dip?Daily dip?
Daily dip?

This couple was testing the waters just off Xinghai Square. The launch point is extremely steep and rocky but once in the water they seemed to be having a great time. A bit chilly for my taste; mind you, it was early November.
Motorcycle macrameMotorcycle macrame
Motorcycle macrame

There is no shortage of motorcycle taxis in Dalian. They charge about half the drop charge of a regular cab. We have seen three people and the driver tearing off around town. They all seem to have fancy coverings on the seats. I took one. Once.
Apartments galoreApartments galore
Apartments galore

These apartments were a vacant field last summer and barely started when I left for Canada in May. It's hard to count them but we figure there are 50-60 buildings in this complex. Just one of many in the neighborhood.
As corny as my jokes?As corny as my jokes?
As corny as my jokes?

And you thought Cornwall was in England! Corn walls like these appear every fall as people harvest the crop and prepare for winter. Nothing is wasted. The stalks are piled high and dried for fuel.
Peking OperaPeking Opera
Peking Opera

The Opera made its rounds to both the boys' and girls' campuses this year. We aren't wild about the music but the costumes and acting are pretty interesting.



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb