Changchun to Jilin to Tunghwa


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jilin
June 1st 2007
Published: June 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Pu YiPu YiPu Yi

Puppet emperor's home
This morning's first stop was Pu Yi, the last Chinese emperor's palace or residence in Changchun. He lasted a total of 3 years as the ruler of China. He was only 3 years old when crowned as the emperor. He was scared and cried as he sat on the throne. It was said that in an effort to comfort him the words "it's all going to be over soon" was used. The Qing dynasty was soon over too.

Japan occupied China for 14 years starting in the NE on Sept 18 1931. Japan knew that there were still Qing loyalists in the NE. In order to appear legitimate, they installed Pu Yi as a puppet emperor and housed him here. He had many firsts as a Chinese emperor. First to know how to played golf and billiards; first to have his mistress divorce him. The mistress used her alimony $ to found a school. After Japanese defeat he was captured by Russian spies when he was fleeing enroute to Japan. He spent some time in a Russian jail but was returned to China to be "re-conditioned". He spent the later part of his life as a gardener.

We
Pu YiPu YiPu Yi

Puppet emperor's home
then stopped by the Baishan park, a popular park with the locals. It has a man-made waterfall but wasn't very exciting beyond that.

The last stop of the day was a museum that houses the world's largest meteorite, weighing in at 1770kg. When it landed in 1976, people thought it was a bad omen. Indeed chairman Mao died that year (was that bad?) and a huge earthquake hit China.

Another bus ride to Tunghwa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Pu YiPu Yi
Pu Yi

his throne
Pu YiPu Yi
Pu Yi

his lavish palace
Baishan ParkBaishan Park
Baishan Park

dragons?
Baishan ParkBaishan Park
Baishan Park

man-made waterfall
Meteorite museumMeteorite museum
Meteorite museum

world's largest at 1770kg
Meteorite museumMeteorite museum
Meteorite museum

chairman Mao is everywhere. I am sure he's watching me too.
fast foodfast food
fast food

fast food chains are everywhere; KFCs outnumber McD's since Chinese likes their chicken
showershower
shower

interesting shower in the hotel. It's part of the bathroom but no walls around the shower.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0781s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb