#102 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Lu Shan Mountain, Jiangxi Province,PRC, - UNESCO World Heritage Site and Landscape)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangxi » Nanchang
September 17th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

My visit to the LU SHAN Mountain Retreat and LU SHAN National Park, in China's province of Jiangxi, became the most strenuous journeys during my time in China. I made my first visit to the Province of Jiangxi this summer, wishing and dreaming to experience the natural beauty of one of China's most fabled natural regions. Poets and painters of every one of China's Dynasties have eulogized this ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 117, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

At the entrance of the People's Hall in Guling.At the entrance of the People's Hall in Guling.
At the entrance of the People's Hall in Guling.

Many other important historical meeting were held inside of the People's Hall by historical notables, like Chiang Kai-shek and Chairman Mao.
Entrance hall of the People's Hall in Guling.Entrance hall of the People's Hall in Guling.
Entrance hall of the People's Hall in Guling.

Chairman Mao, in gold, becomes the top attraction for a photo opportunity for Guling's many visitors to the People's Hall.
CHAIRS ARE WAITING FOR VISITORS, WHO HAVE LOST STEAM TRAVERSING THE THOUSANDS OF STEPS THROUGH-OUT LU SHAN MOUNTAIN.CHAIRS ARE WAITING FOR VISITORS, WHO HAVE LOST STEAM TRAVERSING THE THOUSANDS OF STEPS THROUGH-OUT LU SHAN MOUNTAIN.
CHAIRS ARE WAITING FOR VISITORS, WHO HAVE LOST STEAM TRAVERSING THE THOUSANDS OF STEPS THROUGH-OUT LU SHAN MOUNTAIN.

THE NEXT SERIES OF PHOTOS TAKEN AROUND LU SHAN MOUNTAIN ARE MORE DETAILED. I INVITE YOU TO ENLARGE THEM FOR GREATER DETAILS. THOUGH I NEVER REQUIRED ONE OF THE YELLOW SEDAN-CHAIRS, THE CARRIERS AND PORTERS ARE PATIENTLY WAITING IN THEIR HUTS, STREWN ALONG THE PATHS, FOR THEIR NEXT EXHAUSTED VICTIM.
The first part of the track is made in modern comfort.The first part of the track is made in modern comfort.
The first part of the track is made in modern comfort.

A small train will take us on a 7 minute ride down the side of the mountain on our way to descend to the greatest of Lu Shan mountain's falls, Sandiequan Falls.
The view from our small cog-train becomes an adventure.The view from our small cog-train becomes an adventure.
The view from our small cog-train becomes an adventure.

The river, that feeds the great falls, rushes past our train track, as we head toward our destination, the Sandiequan Falls.
Our tour guide in yellow, gives us final safety instructions.Our tour guide in yellow, gives us final safety instructions.
Our tour guide in yellow, gives us final safety instructions.

After 7 minutes, our group arrives at the last station, and from here we must now rely on our own foot-power to reach the steep bottom of the falls . Umbrellas and rain-coats let you know, that our weather has not bee blessed, and our group leader leader leads us toward the first of 1,400 steps. She will wait for our return at the station, some 4 hours later.
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #1Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #1
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #1

The most majestic water-fall on Lu Shan Mountain measures almost 700 feet high and cascades down on 3 levels. It takes a visitor 1,400 "steep" steps to reach the bottom of the falls, and there is only one way back up, and not one step less. I made it back up on my own power. Many others will pay 400 Yuan ($70) to be carried back up on chairs.
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #2Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #2
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #2

Colorful plastic raincoats protect from the bad weather as we descend. Over 1,400 steps, of which these are the widest and most comfortable, lead to the bottom of the Sandiequan Falls, on Lu Shan Mountain. It was my unlucky day for bad weather, fog and rain. But I was not about to miss the adventure down into the abyss, some 700 feet below.
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #3Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #3
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #3

For over 200 days a year, those who arrive at the bottom of the most famous of the falls on Lu Shan Mountain will be rewarded by this obscured view of the cascading falls. And this, after 1,400 steep and precarious steps into the abyss.
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #4Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #4
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #4

The lucky visitors, during the remaining clearer days to these spectacular falls, are greeted with this spectacular view. Their 1,400 steps return to the top will have been a memorable experience.
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #5Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #5
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #5

The falls have attracted their share of ancient poets, some of whom have left their poems carved into the rock.
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #6Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #6
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #6

Reaching the bottom, the great falls cascade into an almost serene pond, where a number of visitors will sooth their sore feet in the cool waters. Since their are rumors, that dragons make these ponds their home, I kept my toes very close to me.
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #7Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #7
Sandiequan Falls on Lu Shan Mountain, Photo #7

The look on this lady's face let me know, that the return journey of the same 1,400 steps was one that is not appreciated by everyone. She smiled as she passed me, but I was not about to be seen by hundreds of Chinese on one of these chairs. I made it back up on my own power. The suffering though, started when I was back in the hotel, and my knees let me know, that they have their limits.
99 peaks rich to the sky. 99 peaks rich to the sky.
99 peaks rich to the sky.

Lu Shan is an area of some 99 mountain peaks. This is only one of them, and many will permit the journey from top to bottom, or bottom to top, on ancient steps, many carved directly into the mountain. Click on the photo, and you will see, that we have a serious descent to reach the next layer, marked by the bridge below. Beyond that are still hundreds of steps to reach "almost" bottom.
Lu Shan Mountain has been declared a "World Heritage Site"Lu Shan Mountain has been declared a "World Heritage Site"
Lu Shan Mountain has been declared a "World Heritage Site"

Steep cliffs, some hanging precariously over descending climbers, make a visit to the "holy" Lu Shan Mountain and experience not to be forgotten.
Visitors of all ages make many of these up/down journeys daily.Visitors of all ages make many of these up/down journeys daily.
Visitors of all ages make many of these up/down journeys daily.

About half way down this section of the mountain, a few of us look up, and note the bridge above, from which we had started our descent. Again, enlarging the photo will make the bridge above more visible.
Waterfalls can be seen everywhere. Waterfalls can be seen everywhere.
Waterfalls can be seen everywhere.

My descent on this mountain side was made more pleasant by a constantly new emerging waterfalls.
Note the geometric stone patterns, that have pushed these mountains up.Note the geometric stone patterns, that have pushed these mountains up.
Note the geometric stone patterns, that have pushed these mountains up.

The upheaval of the ancient movement of the earth, that formed these Lu Shan mountains, is quite visible on the sides of the mountains.
Guling Town is surrounded by parks.Guling Town is surrounded by parks.
Guling Town is surrounded by parks.

One of the beautiful gardens and ancient homes near Guling once belonged to one of the many poets, who found their inspirations on Lu Shan Mountain.
Taoist Shrine on Lu Shan MountainTaoist Shrine on Lu Shan Mountain
Taoist Shrine on Lu Shan Mountain

Holy shrines dot the mountains of Lu Shan, and are frequented by visitors and faithful.
There is much traditional life among the mountains.There is much traditional life among the mountains.
There is much traditional life among the mountains.

Friendly, local "minority" youth, scattered among the villages of Lu Shan mountain ready for their daily lessons.



17th September 2008

Nanchang is steeped in China's recent history, and is often thought of as the birthplace of The Peoples Republic of China. --------------------------------- birthplace of The Peoplesā€˜ Liberation Army(PLA).
17th September 2008

Correction has been made from PRC to PLA.
I have made the correction, and thank you for bringing it to my attention.
17th September 2008

Wow another reason to return to China!
What a beautiful area, Hans! Impressed you did all the stairs- I can appreciate what you accomplished after my time on Huang Shan!
18th September 2008

Wow
Mr. Schneider! you look so thin! Im glad to see that you are staying healthy :)
19th September 2008

John Nanchang China
Hi. I am very interested to know how you signed a three year teaching contract. Is it possible you could leave a comment and let me know how you did that and how it works? I'm sure other teachers here in China would be interested to know. Thnaks. John
19th September 2008

2 year contract question/answer
I teach at Taizhou Teachers College in Taizhou, Jiangsu. I have had two 1year contracts, and my time here at our college has been that of being with a family. After discussion with the Foreign Affairs Director at my college this past year, it was a mutual decision that both parties, they and I, wanted to maintain this professional relationship for another two years. They offered the contract and I was happy to sign it. Of course, I will have to renew the visa yearly in order to receive my Foreign Expert Certificate, but that will be taken care of by my college. I like the security of knowing my residence for another two years. It helps me follow the progress of the students I have been teaching, and organize my adventures in China yet to come. There is still so much I wish to see and do in this incredible country.
20th September 2008

Great blog! Great writing and great photos! I hope you can deal with these materials and write a book in the future, introduce real China and Chinese cultures to American people.
20th September 2008

I admire you
As a Chinese,I haven't travel so mang beautiful places,and I admire you so much for your teaching in class,you always made us smiled the whole lesson,but from it we aslo can learn much from you ,even as a Chinese we don't know much about our country... Thank you very much! Wellcome Back!
23rd September 2008

beautiful photos!
Hans, once again you have introduced us to another magnificent part of China that is off the normal tourist route. Your photos are lovely and I must say, you are looking really fit, and must be to have walked those steps! Thanks again(I will email privately soon to update you.)
13th April 2009

Thanks for this beautifully written piece about Lushan and all the photos. I just want to let you know, dear Hans, that I've been enjoying reading your past journals all the time, despite there hasn't been any new entry for quite a while. June
26th May 2009

here come the excellent ---shoes
Air Max 95

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb