#101 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (The City of Yangzhou, Taizhou's Beautiful Neighbor)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Yangzhou
September 7th 2008
Published: September 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It has been sometime since my last entry, and much has happened in my life here in China. I am trying to gather my thoughts, and compile them and all of the hundreds of pictures of my past eventful weeks into my computer for a next series of TravelBlogs. It will take me some time, and I hope to become more prolific in presenting you so many of my joys and adventures in China from this past summe... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 102, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Xianhe Mosque in Yangzhou, Photo #5Xianhe Mosque in Yangzhou, Photo #5
Xianhe Mosque in Yangzhou, Photo #5

Puhaddin's grave is enclosed in a building filled with inscriptions from the holy Koran. Other noted Muslim figures from China's great dynasties are buried nearby. The quarter-moon, the Muslim symbol, is quite visible on top of the structure.
Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #1Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #1
Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #1

The Ge and He Gardens are the most visited homes and gardens in the city of Yangzhou, and are of a classic Chinese rock and water composition. They are best viewed from atop the walkways of the pavilions within. I'll post more photos of these fine gardens in a later TravelBlog presentation.
Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #2Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #2
Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #2

Of special interest to me are these beautiful bamboo stalks. The gardens are especially known for their variety of bamboo collections, a revered plant all over China, seen in famous paintings, used in making furniture and household goods, and used as foods by every Chinese, (including the wonderful Panda).
Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #3Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #3
Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #3

The smaller of the 2 gardens, I find the He Garden the most beautiful. Built in the 19th Century, this garden in miniature uses trees, shrubs, pavilions, water, rocks and a raised walkway to give a sense of dimension and depth.
Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #4Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #4
Ge Garden and He Garden of Yangzhou, Photo #4

The gardens are undergoing renovations and some re-construction. All such labor is manual, and accomplished with great pride by on-sight workers, who are now resting in the shade after a satisfying lunch.
Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #1Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #1
Arboritum of Yangzhou, Photo #1

Of great interest is the spectacular collection of internationally award winning, decorative, miniature trees. Many are hundreds of years old, and are lovingly cared for in Yangzhou's wonderful Arboritum. Spacious and expansive, the arboritum is less known among the visitors to Yangzhou.
Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #2Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #2
Arboritum of Yangzhou, Photo #2

Many prize-winning tree specimens are on display as if in a museum, to be admired individually as masterpieces. I enjoy them, here some in blossoms, on everyone of my visits.
Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #3Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #3
Arboritum of Yangzhou, Photo #3

Each masterpiece is like looking at a miniature in nature, and there are hundreds to be enjoyed by only a few visitors, who are aware of one of Yangzhou's jewels, the arboritum.
Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #4Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #4
Arboritum of Yangzhou, Photo #4

Though the photo was taken during early spring, flower beds can always be enjoyed by those knowing one of Yangzhou's best kept secrets, its beautiful arboritum.
Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #5Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #5
Arboritum of Yangzhou, Photo #5

Empty of visitors, the arboritum is a beautiful park to enjoy, empty of the tourist-traffic, in contrast to the crowds seen along the Slender West Lake, a few hundred yards away.
Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #6Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #6
Arboritum of Yangzhou, Photo #6

Every corner of Yangzhou's Arboritum is filled with wonderful scenes of rocks, shrubs, trees, water, and pavilions. Visitors to Yangzhou don't understand what they are missing.
Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #7Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #7
Arboritum of Yangzhou, Photo #7

The ground of the arboritum are easy to walk and to enjoy for hours. It is a great place to get lost in contemplation and thought.
Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #8Arboritum of Yangzhou,  Photo #8
Arboritum of Yangzhou, Photo #8

We now leave this special place, the arboritum, along paths guided by canals and trees in bloom. Graceful pavilions offer a place for shade and rest.
History in the center of Yangzhou, Photo #1History in the center of Yangzhou, Photo #1
History in the center of Yangzhou, Photo #1

The center city of Yangzhou holds many surprises. Smaller ancient Pagodas constantly remind of the city's long history.
History in the center of Yangzhou, Photo #2History in the center of Yangzhou, Photo #2
History in the center of Yangzhou, Photo #2

The modern blends with the ancient. Both are carefully cared for and make Yangzhou's quality of life one to be admired in all of China.
History in the center of Yangzhou, Photo #3History in the center of Yangzhou, Photo #3
History in the center of Yangzhou, Photo #3

Another ancient memorial stands in one of the many traffic circles of Yangzhou. It is one of the most walkable cities I have been visiting in China, and it is only 1 hour from my home at Taizhou Teachers College in Taizhou.
German students visit Taizhou Teachers College.German students visit Taizhou Teachers College.
German students visit Taizhou Teachers College.

This group of young German high school students from the city of Schwaebisch Hall visited my college for 2 weeks. We took them on a visit to the neighboring city of Yangzhou. I will present their visit to TTC in one of the later TravelBlogs.
Good bye from YangzhouGood bye from Yangzhou
Good bye from Yangzhou

From a small electric boat, cruising the Slender West Lake of Yangzhou, two of the German students will always remember their visit to Yangzhou. If you visit China, it should be on your travel agenda as well.



6th September 2008

schneider! so happy that you're back. ive missed your entries. how lucky are you to be surrounded by buddhist monks and lotus flowers? i'd be in heaven. hope all is well with you and i'm so happy to hear that you'll be in your element for another 2 years. it makes me sad that it'll probably be a while before we see you though. love you and i'm always thinking about you.
6th September 2008

Hans thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures. Glad to hear from. Thanks,Carmen
6th September 2008

Hi from Sue in Latvia!
Great to see you off and running again! I have finally been able to upload my photos so expect to see a spate of entries in the next few weeks (17, I believe!) Great to see our city of Yangzhou again! Brings back so many good memories! Please give my regards to everyone! Enjoy your new "extensions"!
7th September 2008

old Yangzhou
Dear Hans, thank you for this new blog with these incredible 102 photos! About 40 years ago, the places you've seen were, however, very quite and much more natural, run-down though but free of entry. The bright colours of the ancient historical places are evidence of the eager for commercialisation. Hum, the authentic beauty was much more seductive.
7th September 2008

Beautiful photos and entry
I enjoyed this walk through a city miles away.
16th September 2008

Nice to hear from you again! I envy you for having such a lovely summer!
20th September 2008

Beautilful Yangzhou
Dear Hans, I"m your student in Nanjing Normal University Taizhou College. I'm so happy to see the pictures of Yangzhou. I have been staying in that city for two years, and have visited the Slender West Lake. It is very beautiful. Your photos reminds me of the happy time when I was there with my friends. Thanks.
22nd September 2008

Hello!
Hi Mr. Schneider! Looking very sharp there in your suit! I'm so happy to see you're doing well.
27th June 2011
Slender West Lake (Shou Xi Hu), Photo #10

About Slender West Lake
I am a Chinese overseas student that study at Sydney University, Australia. Yangzhou is my hometown. I enjoyed your photos 2 times.Thank you for your perfect appraise for Yangzhou.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb