#105 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ("Superior" Evaluations for TTC by the Education Department of Jiangsu)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
October 12th 2008
Published: October 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One of the important Blogs I have neglected to publish earlier this year, 2008, concerns our school's evaluation by the Education Department of the Province of Jiangsu, China. It is a process that is mandated for the provincial educational institutions every 5 years, and Taizhou Teachers College was ready for this rigorous examination of its academia and facilities. I observed the faculty and... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

A pose with Ms. Zhang Li,  the Music Department Chairwoman.A pose with Ms. Zhang Li,  the Music Department Chairwoman.
A pose with Ms. Zhang Li, the Music Department Chairwoman.

Respected for her talents as an administrator and as a performer, Ms. Zhang Li will take the stage to entertain the evalutation commission this evening.
A performance of traditional Chinese instruments.A performance of traditional Chinese instruments.
A performance of traditional Chinese instruments.

Here, Ms. Zhang Li, our Music Department Dean is sitting on the right, and she strums the lute-like "Pipa". I wish you I could share with you their exciting performance and the beautiful sounds of these traditional instruments.
The Zheng, as played by one of our talented students.The Zheng, as played by one of our talented students.
The Zheng, as played by one of our talented students.

The Zheng is many centuries old, and one of China's most traditional instruments. Its sounds resonate in the soul and carry the spirits. A similar instrument is also played in the European Alpine region. I keep wondering about their relationship? Did it travel from China to Europe or visa versa? Or did it develop independently in each side of the globe?
Zhang Zhihao is a spectacular flutist.Zhang Zhihao is a spectacular flutist.
Zhang Zhihao is a spectacular flutist.

Another student, also my friend and this year a teacher, is well known on our campus as the best "flutist" in Taizhou and beyond.
My friend Zhang Zhihao on the flute.My friend Zhang Zhihao on the flute.
My friend Zhang Zhihao on the flute.

Even as a student at Taizhou Teachers College, he has been performing solo to captivated audiences. A self-confident and able performer, he has graduated this past year from our college, and teaches the children in a nearby experimental school.
Mr. Zhai Hongjing, one of the great "voices" of Taizhou Teachers CollegeMr. Zhai Hongjing, one of the great "voices" of Taizhou Teachers College
Mr. Zhai Hongjing, one of the great "voices" of Taizhou Teachers College

In a traditional minority costume, music teacher Mr. Zhai Hongjing, has one of the most joyous voices on campus. It is a pleasure to watch any of his exhuberant performances. It was so again this evening.
Mr. Zhai Hongjing always asks me to pose with him during one of his performances.Mr. Zhai Hongjing always asks me to pose with him during one of his performances.
Mr. Zhai Hongjing always asks me to pose with him during one of his performances.

Music teacher, Mr. Zhai Hongjing is also my friend. A happy, kind and friendly man, his greatest joy is riding is powerful motorcycle.
They are not only talented but they are also beautiful.They are not only talented but they are also beautiful.
They are not only talented but they are also beautiful.

Our college is blessed with beautiful voices, and all found appreciation during this entertaining evening.
Another of our beautiful music teachers.Another of our beautiful music teachers.
Another of our beautiful music teachers.

She too will perform and charm the evaluation committee with her beautiful voice this evening.
Beijing Opera on the campus of TTC Beijing Opera on the campus of TTC
Beijing Opera on the campus of TTC

This style of Beijing Opera is my favorite, and our campus is proud of this young and wonderful music teacher, Ms. Mao Hua mei. Her make-up and costumes have been made popular by Taizhou's favorite citizen, Mr. Mei LanFang, one of China's greatest Beijing Opera stars.
Her talent on stage knows no bounds.Her talent on stage knows no bounds.
Her talent on stage knows no bounds.

This is the charming and beautiful young teacher at our college, whom you see performing in the previous photo, and the following two photos. We too have become friends, and no one appreciates and enjoys her talents more than I do. She performs with great energy and grace, and is beloved by students and staff of TTC.
She is all grace, beauty and talent.She is all grace, beauty and talent.
She is all grace, beauty and talent.

As friends, she makes an effort to keep me informed about the happenings, that deal with Beijing Opera in Taizhou.
She performs a tradition that takes us back centuries.She performs a tradition that takes us back centuries.
She performs a tradition that takes us back centuries.

This traditional Beijing Opera performance is one of the most colorful, filled with ancient music, excitement and great energy. I hope to share it with you one day on video.
The evening is coming to a conclusion, much to quickly.The evening is coming to a conclusion, much to quickly.
The evening is coming to a conclusion, much to quickly.

Teachers from the various departments and representatives from the administration bring the evening to a close with a serenade. What a great evening! I can't wait for the next.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE DEPARTMENT'S Dean, Ms. FanFOREIGN LANGUAGE DEPARTMENT'S Dean, Ms. Fan
FOREIGN LANGUAGE DEPARTMENT'S Dean, Ms. Fan

I am regularly invited to give lectures to both staff and students of the English department. I am also asked to help judge speech competitions and drama competitions. I enjoy this kind of interaction and am honored, that they seek to share the little I know.
Some of our campus "stars"Some of our campus "stars"
Some of our campus "stars"

Stephanie, our wonderful English teacher from Kansas City, is always surrounded by her loyal fans. She will leave us after this semester, and I may find myself as the only English native speaker on campus. For those of you considering, there is room for one or two more.
"The computer, a student's greatest tool," was the topic of my lecture."The computer, a student's greatest tool," was the topic of my lecture.
"The computer, a student's greatest tool," was the topic of my lecture.

A group of English students listen respectfully to one of my lectures. By their attentiveness, you might think, I had something interesting and informative to say on that day??
On of the modern lecture halls of TTCOn of the modern lecture halls of TTC
On of the modern lecture halls of TTC

I never had such a captivated audience, and I feel honored, that they continue to invite me to similar presentations.
A poetry and drama competition of the English DepartmentA poetry and drama competition of the English Department
A poetry and drama competition of the English Department

Our students, who are burdened with a .... load of classes all week, still find time to stimulate their minds, and those of others, with a variety of extra activities.
The two winners of the drama competition join me in a pose.The two winners of the drama competition join me in a pose.
The two winners of the drama competition join me in a pose.

I love seeing these young men and women, China's future, during these extra-curricular activities. Here, their individual abilities truly begin to shine.
The Martial Arts are a part of a student's daily life.The Martial Arts are a part of a student's daily life.
The Martial Arts are a part of a student's daily life.

Their English abilities are wonderful, but so are their other skills. One of my students concludes the nights competition with a little additional drama.



11th October 2008

Hans you look great, you look Chinese already, Carinos, Miriam
12th October 2008

Evaluations
Hans, you write a good travel blog, I grant you that, but you have mainly given us the brochure version of China, with a glossy, sugary coating…………………………………………………. My college also has just had its 5-year evaluation, which it too was given top marks, though little has changed in some of the more important, academic aspects of the college. Many of the improvements or changes were superficial or decorative – including some incredibly gaudy lights. After the inspection I still see students using text books that have stories about buying gramophone records, or celebrating Christmas in a manner befitting the 1950s. More desks are being put into already overcrowded classrooms to cater for the ever increasing intake of students. I still see students endlessly sleeping or playing with their mobile ‘phones at the back of most classes. We still have teachers who receive little in the way of any kind of professional teacher training. I still see outdated teaching methods, with little innovation employed or understood in classrooms………………………………………………………………………………………… During the inspection, students were forbidden to hold hands or put their arms around each other while on campus. Teachers, including overseas teachers, had to be prepared for snap lesson inspections – though it was doubtful if an overseas’ lessons would be inspected. At my wife’s university, my wife had to teach some extra oral lessons, so some students could rehearse what they might say if asked questions by an inspector……………………………………………….. Though, to be fair at an ethical high-street bank I used to work at in England, they too received an award of some kind for ‘investing in people’, but the reality was quite different.
12th October 2008

Hey Mr. Schneider, pictures look great I hope your doing good sir.
17th October 2008

Dear teacher Hans I'm pleased to read this entry. Your descriptions and photos have refleted the reality of students' life today in China from various aspects. Indeed, great needs of improvements not only for education, but also for everything in the country will last a long period. We shouldn't forget, China may have become much stronger now, however, it's regarded just as an emerging-market by the western powers. That's the reason, that many students are keen to search for opportuinities of sudying abroad, and you've brought exactly what they desire for. Isn't it great? You deserve our love! To stay for teaching over a long period is kind of major committment or even some sacrifice. Best regards, and enjoy your days there! June
23rd October 2008

wonderfully informative and rich blog
Your blog is a pleasure to read,both to the mind and the eye

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb