Yangtze River Bridge


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Nanjing
January 19th 2013
Published: January 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

We thought we'd do something different today instead of the usual temples and museums. We did have to take a taxi to get there but we did manage to get the bus back. We love travelling on the buses here in China, if you can get a seat that is!

So it was off to the Yangtze River bridge today. A cracking example of China's former socialist power and it's also a good example of how much China has changed. Before the bridge was opened in 1968 there was no direct rail link between Beijing and Shanghai, now the high speed trains can do it in just under five hours. There is a delapidated museum, next to the delapidated park and playground, wih a statue of Mao and some half heated exibhits showing the bridge being opened, 23rd December 1968, and on the bridge level there's a small shop selling the usual Chinese souviners. Out on the brige itself there we're luxury cars passing by the socialist statues holding Mao's book of quotaitons at how to be a good comminist.

It often makes me wonder what the greatly revered Mao would think of modern day China.

We also found a building showing China's capitalist power the Zifeng Tower a 450 metre (1,480 ft) skyscraper. It was so tall I couldn't get it all in the photo!

Enjoy the photos

Jah Bless


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb