Luke has arrived, April 1


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Nanjing
April 2nd 2008
Published: April 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Glorious Son #1Glorious Son #1Glorious Son #1

Ian trying to keep himself amused on the seventh day spent in a hotel room.
Or: None of this writing stuff, here are some pictures

While Becky is in the shower crumpling and bubbling (see our post March 29 on signage), I am posting a few pictures for all of you who want to see pictures of your new grandchild/nephew/son or brother of a friend. I just hope Becky's hair will not be too dry--Becky and Pam have decided that unfortunately they are not eligible to use the conditioner based on its instructions: "Include and protect the wet factor inside. Many kinds of nutritional labeling, such as purpose-built silk softener, etc., with after can make by hair it is the pitch-black the beautiful. Slip softly and suitably. Easy to comb make hair moist fully Fetch the right amount Wipe for a moment. If not careful and pleasing to the eye, Wash clean with the branch water." In Becky's words, it is good to know we are not the only insular nation. I thought that maybe it meant that the conditioner would give you pitch-black hair. It has certainly worked for me.

(Another word on making fun of Chinese signs: mangling language is a two-way street. Because Chinese has four principal sounds and using the wrong sound for a word can change its meaning, foreign diplomats apparently often introduce themselves not as "diplomats" but "U-bend shaped rubber tubes." So there.)

In a passive-aggressive move, we have declined the organizers invitation to a multi-hour van trip to see the city of Changzho (where Heavenly Son #2* was found) and will tour the city of Nanjing instead. Which means more pictures for you and more days of blog for me to be behind.

*Inspired by Chinese names for things (like the Beijing Friendship Jade City Factory) that the government uses to remind people of both the glorious goals of the revolution and Chinese history and tradition, I have decided to bestow official titles on Ian and Lucas: "Glorious Son #1" and "Heavenly Son #2" (which Ian does not find funny at all).




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hotel, Day 7Hotel, Day 7
Hotel, Day 7

Ian is not the only one experiencing ennui.
Ian Entertaining HimselfIan Entertaining Himself
Ian Entertaining Himself

Hey, its on his Leapster, so its educational.
Heavenly Son #2Heavenly Son #2
Heavenly Son #2

Day 2 with us, Lucas began to warm up.
The AftermathThe Aftermath
The Aftermath

Reenacting the Battle of Hoth, casualties everywhere. Note the matching big brother-little brother shirts, worn for the occasion of finalizing the adoption at the Chinese court.
The Debris of WarThe Debris of War
The Debris of War

A gun emplacement on Hoth, after the carnage.
Getting Acquainted With StuffGetting Acquainted With Stuff
Getting Acquainted With Stuff

Lucas is beginning to learn the concept of having stuff all to your own that you do not need to share with your creche siblings.
More HeavenlyMore Heavenly
More Heavenly

One of 10,000 photos we have taken so far.
Here's Looking at You, KidHere's Looking at You, Kid
Here's Looking at You, Kid

One of the problems of getting adopted by doting parents is that there are cameras everywhere.


3rd April 2008

Another Star Wars ?
Has Lucas identified with any one from Star Wars yet?
3rd April 2008

Pushed enter too soon
This blog is such a pleasure to read -- the excitement and joy you all are feeling is coming through. We can't wait to meet Lucas! Hopefully, he'll be ready to meet someone his own size soon (and more of us Ian-size and Mom-, Dad- and Auntie-size as well) when he gets home! Take care, Ani, Jonathon, Ara, and GiGi

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb