Chongqing Who Knew?


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Nanjing
October 1st 2005
Published: October 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post


Well bloggers we have surfaced.Actually we have been on the surface of the Yangzi river since I last wrote. Actually that isn't really right as the yang tzee was the colonial name and not in favour here any more the proper name is now the Chang Jiang,bot I am ahead of myself again.When I last wrote we had been waiting in the hotel in Xi'an.The plane took off at about 7:30 and a short pleasant flight deposited us in the city of Chongqing.Another friendly smiling face attached to a Speak sign greeted us at the airport.A very articulate young woman was there to greet us and along with the driver was certainly serving above and beyond as they had both waited out our flight delay in the airport waiting for our three hour delayed flight.Pangs of guilt washed over us and we did not mention our comfortable hotel respite in Xi'an any more.She spoke of her city on the 40 minute drive to the river front and our cruise boat and immediately we regretted not having scheduled more time being spent here.Chongqing is the world's largest city!! yes bloggers who knew a city of 31 million people sits tucked away in central China? Chongqing actually is a recently amalgamated city (1997) and hence the status of world's largest has snuck up on most I think.It was a surprise though to realize we knew nothing about this place which on our quick taste seemed a marvel of buildings lit up along hilly streets with the great river winding through its center.The evening we were there only a fraction of the building's were illuminated but still impressive and I am sure in full glory would rival Vegas.We were let off at the side of the road and immediately surrounded by semi naked porters all interested in our luggage and another moment of silent thanks and praises for our guide as she skillfully and knowledgeably ordered up four fierce men to carry our bags down what turned out to be a long trek down stairs and over gangplanks and barges moored along the river bank.The usual fenicular was not running at the late hour so the human power was welcome.As we walked on of the men whispers to me "you pay 100 yuan" I said no and walked on.Not to be put off his buddy gave it a try also and was met with the no again.The price our guide had said was the correct one was 10 yuan.As expected the growled and grumbled when the 20 yual was produced at the ship but she hung in and barked back at them sending them off with the money agreed and lots of what I imagine was an unflattering assessment of our guide. The ship was wonderful and we upgraded to get a room with a balcony for another 100 US. The sailing was not till the am so went to a small stand and bought some beer and biscuits and sat on the balcony enjoying a hot steamy evening looking at the worlds largestyyity.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb