#111 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ( HARBIN: Part 2, World of Ice & Snow, Stalin Park, Buddhist Temples and Confucian Temple!)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Heilongjiang » Harbin
January 14th 2009
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

THIS IS PART "TWO" OF MY 2009 WINTER-VISIT TO HARBIN, THE "FROZEN" CAPITAL OF HEILONGJIANG, THE NORTHERN MOST PROVINCE OF CHINA: MY PRIMARY REASON FOR BRAVING THIS 24 HOUR TRAIN-JOURNEY FROM TAIZHOU TO SUB-ARCTIC HARBIN IS THE ANNUAL "ICE AND SNOW FESTIVAL", WHICH INVITES VISITORS FROM AROUND THE WORLD, DURING THE MONTHS OF DECEMBER THROUGH FEBRUARY, TO ONE OF THE GREATEST SNOW- AND ICE-CARVIN... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 113, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #11Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #11
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #11

Old and young find the frozen river a place for recreation and sharing quality time.
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #12Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #12
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #12

This exciting ice-slide extends from Stalin Park, in the distance, down and far onto the frozen-river surface and provides some special thrills.
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #13Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #13
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #13

The mini-snow-mobile is another form of great entertainment on this river of ice.
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #14Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #14
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #14

When this mini-snow-mobile passed me, I was surprised at the youth of the smiling driver. She handled it like a professional.
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #15Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #15
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #15

Whipping his large, humming "spinning -top", few attempted to take a closer look, fearing the sting of the whip.
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #16Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #16
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #16

But there is room for everyone, who wishes to enjoy the frozen surface of the Songhua River.
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #17-ASurrounding Stalin Park, Photo #17-A
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #17-A

I did not appreciate the way some of the dog-handlers treated their canines, as you see in the next phot. For sure, the handlers were freezing, but they were well protected from the cold. Should the same not be true for their dogs?? Is it not the dogs that provide them with a living?? Even a small coat-cover might have been appreciated by these sad-looking canines.
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #17-BSurrounding Stalin Park, Photo #17-B
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #17-B

What was the reason for him choking this beautiful animal?
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #18Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #18
Surrounding Stalin Park, Photo #18

Thankfully, I saw the dogs being bedded on a blanket protecting them from the cold of the ice. Make no mistake, the air in Harbin is bitter cold. During in-activity, what happens to the rest of the canine's body??
The Buddha of the Jile Si (Temple) is impressive.The Buddha of the Jile Si (Temple) is impressive.
The Buddha of the Jile Si (Temple) is impressive.

AND NOW FOR THE OBLIGATORY TEMPLE VISITS: The Jile Si Temple Complex is one of the largest temple compounds in Northeast China, and has experienced a troubled history.
The Qiji Futu Pagoda complements the Golden Buddha.The Qiji Futu Pagoda complements the Golden Buddha.
The Qiji Futu Pagoda complements the Golden Buddha.

Both are the focal point of the largest temple complex in Heilongjiang Province, but suffered greatly during the Cultural Revolution.
The Central Plaza of the Jile Si (Temple)The Central Plaza of the Jile Si (Temple)
The Central Plaza of the Jile Si (Temple)

The giant Golden Buddha is surounded in front and on both sides by three Stupas, which normally contain pages of holy scriptures or reliques. In the rear stands the Qiji Futu Pagoda. Sorry, but I could not dismantle the electric wire cutting through the center of the photo!
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #1Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #1
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #1

We are at the simple entrance of the Jile Si Temple. Here I notice more faithful visiting this temple than in most other sites I have visited. Tourist don't seem to be a common sight here.
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #2Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #2
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #2

"I have not seen any location in China, were religion or prayer are discouraged." I did not see it in Tibet 2 years ago, and I did not see it here at this important Jile Si Temple in Harbin.
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #3Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #3
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #3

The structures of all temples and official buildings in China are of similar style and architecture and layout. This building seems of more recent construction, since the temple was badly damaged during the Cultural Revolution.
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #4Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #4
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #4

The temple-complex took four years to construct and was completed in 1921, rather young for a Chinese Buddhist temple. The complex occupies some 17,000 sq.yards of land.
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #4Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #4
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #4

Many of the red wooden-columns carry additional decorations. This one displays a golden dragon, the imperial symbol, signifying the importance of this temple.
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #5Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #5
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #5

The Jile Si Temple is especially colorful, and is the pride of the Harbin "Tiantai Sect" Buddhist community.
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #6Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #6
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #6

On either side of the temple entrance stand two towers, the bell- and the drum towers. These signify the female and male spirits respectively.
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #7Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #7
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #7

The seven tiered Qiji Futu Pagoda has been reconstructed after severe damage during the Cultural Revolution, and makes a splendid sight in the winter blue skies. It is the landmark of the Jile Si Temple.
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #8Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #8
Jile Si (Temple) with Qiji Futu Pagoda, Photo #8

The temple complex is the home of about 70 Buddhist monks, one of which is admiring the wonderful Golden Buddha.



14th January 2009

wow
Harbin...ice world...fantasyland...thanks show those pic from Harbin,,,, ;)
14th January 2009

It's so cool.
14th January 2009

Chairman Mao, in anticipation of war with Russia, dismanteled the huge and wonderful imperial wall and fortifications which surrounded Beijing in the 1950's. --------------------------------------- The leaders decided to demolish the Beijing City wall, because they wanted to build a "NEW" Beijing. This was a vast mistake. Otherwise, Beijing would have its own wonderful citywall like Xi'an. In 1950s, the relations between China and USSR was good. But from aboud 1960, it became worse and worse. At 1969, it reached the worst. Small military confrontations happened in both Northeast and Northwest. USSR put great pressure to the Chinese leaders, bacause USSR had more than 1million army in China-Mongolia border and the China-Mongolia border is only 4-hour away from Beijing. So I guess most Chinese are happy to see the collapse of USSR, just like US.
14th January 2009

Your history knowledge is amazing. But there are some mistakes. Long story, so I just provide some links. There were several key persons creating the earlier history of Manchu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurhaci http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huang_Taiji http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunzhi_Emperor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongzhen_Emperor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Zicheng http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Sangui
14th January 2009

Of course it is a long story for the Manchus!
It is not possible to entertain all of the detailed history of thousands of years, and so I appreciate the links. It would take books, as there have been written, to entertain all of these much earlier details. But in fact, the general idea as I have presented them are what has been written in my blog. For further reading, history books will offer year by year accounts of the Manchus. Thank you for the observations and links.
14th January 2009

Bricks diverted for both, above- and below ground construction!
It is true, that much of the wall has been used to build a new Beijing by Chairman Mao, and that included a whole underground city for the safety of the citizens of Beijing, and for the leaders, against the expected attack by Stalin. Small battles were already taking place between Russia and China on the northern borders, as the two countries drifted apart from earlier co-operation. And so, believing an attack by the Russians on Beijing would take place, and having little time to lose, Chairman Mao constructed, with millions of the bricks diverted from the ancient city wall, a whole underground city that stretches for miles, that has not yet been fully explored. Visitors are able to take underground tours to visit some of this enormous complex and amazing facilities. Along with thousands of others, I have been one of these visitors.
15th January 2009

Happy Holidays!
Heh Hans, great blog as usual. Trust that you will thaw out adequately during your annual trip back to Florida! Starting post grad studies next week and have my name down for casual teaching at the major Language Institutes here, and have a place to stay rent free until my place becomes available, so everything going well. Also hunting for good places for my Mum to relocate to on the Gold Coast, so no rest even for the not-so-wicked! Miss you all. Hope Stef gets things sorted for herself. Suexx
15th January 2009

It is true, that much of the wall has been used to build a new Beijing by Chairman Mao, and that included a whole underground city for the safety of the citizens of Beijing, and for the leaders, against the expected attack by Stalin. ----------------------------------------- Against Leonid Brezhnev not Stalin(Otherwize do you think the Stalin Park could be named after Stalin?). Actually Mao and Stalin had a good relationship. The relationship between Mao and Nikita Khrushchev was not good, but also not that bad.
16th January 2009

An amazing display of ice sculpture show! What takes my breath away is the creators' passion of devotion and the long-lasting solid frieze of that unique environment. What a wonderful dazzling world!
16th January 2009

According to memory, there were students' exchange programmes kept going on since the 50s until the early 60s. Photos of beautiful blond Udssr students were even displayed in the windows at the Taizhou Middleschool. How about that? But, people were later told that government of the Udssr had become either terribly corrupted or betrayal against communism: difficult to comprehent!
7th November 2010
Harbin: The Big World of Ice and Snow

A happy man
Whenever I see you,you always wear a happy smile, look so kind.I am afriad of talking with foreigners.but when I see you, I always cannot help to talk with you.which is exciting. You make me more confident,and I want to say:Thank you !

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb