The End of the Wall


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hebei » Shanhaiguan
October 14th 2012
Published: October 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This weekend, I decided to stay in Luannan (at the school) and catch up on some lesson planning and rest.

Three days is a long time to do nothing, so I looked up some Hebei Province sights, on the off-chance that one of them might be close to the school. I discovered that the end of the Great Wall was about 2 hours away by car. The Great Wall of China starts at the coast, running right out into the ocean, and then winds 5,500 miles inland.

I asked one of my co-workers for some insight as to what the best way to get to this area would be. It's not in any major city, and the bus system is pretty difficult to navigate. Bringing it up to her ended up being great because there is a new exchange student from Korea who arrived this weekend, and my little excursion turned into a foreigner filled field trip, on the school's tab. The school arranged a driver for six of us and provided food money. Can't complain about that.

This area of the Great Wall, Shanhaiguan, was also a castle, as many soldiers had to live here and protect the coast. There was a lot to see, and we spent about 3 hours touring the entire area. The coast was also beautiful. The air quality was amazing, and the water looked really clear. I guess this area is a little too out of the way to be a typical tourist hotspot, which is too bad because it was really nice, and definitely worth the trip. It was pretty impressive to see something as massive as the Great Wall running out into the ocean.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



14th October 2012

Luck will have it!
Emilie, you certainly have a talent for making things happen!!! That's so cool that you will visit so many different places. Ttyl Sylvie xox
14th October 2012
Our group with a Ming Dynasty war ship

That looks really interesting!
Emilie, what an interesting looking trip. Do you have more pictures? Who is in the pictues with you? I know Josh, of course.

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb