Overnight Shenanigans


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Yangshuo
February 26th 2012
Published: February 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Yangshuo this morning on our way to Xingping. Met some fun traveler's on the overnight bus. A couple of guys from Germany, a slovakian, and an Israeli. Guy (the Israeli) was on a 6 month trip through Asia! Sounds amazing. Maybe that will be me one of these days.

Thankfully 3 of the guys we met on the bus were also stopping off in Yangshuo, for we definitely had to put up with some hassling from a couple of locals as soon as we got off the bus. They kept trying to tell Merilie and I that no buses were going to xinping today cause it was not a "Market" day, but they of course could take us for the low price of 180y. If this happens to you... just walk away. 2 of the guys actually had a hostel reservation so all 5 of us banded together and started hiking into town. It was a bit odd of a feeling, 5 in the morning with nothing open and no one on the streets and not really knowing where we were going. One of the hastler's even started following us and trying to get us to jump in
XinpingXinpingXinping

View off the top of our hostel in Xingping. (This Old Place Hostel). Great view and so far looks like an awesome hostel!
his open air "taxi". He finally left us but then about 15 minutes later the other hustler drove by on his scooter and started following us and trying to tell us the hostel the 2 guys were going to would F us over and that we should go his hostel instead....

We eventually found the hostel the 2 guys had reservations at (bamboo hotel). Of course this involved lot's of walking... looking at street signs.. then the map.. then street signs... then a police officer stopped us and tried to help us... he eventually called the hostel we were standing by and woke that poor women up so she could talk to us in english... she eventually lined out the police officer as to where we were trying to go.

Since it was still to early for them to check in, we found a nice warm fast food joint that was opening and served us coffee and tea (Dicos, just off of west street).By this point we knew where we were. So eventually we split ways. Marten and his friend went to the bamboo hotel and later off to search for a cooking class that sounded pretty good (something to do on a rainy day), Guy went off to the Monkey Jane hostel in search of more travellers, and Merilie and I went just around the corner to the bus terminal were low and behold there were buses going to Xingping every 15-30 mins.... so much for "no buses, no market day!"

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb