Yangshuo Adventures


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Yangshuo
September 30th 2007
Published: September 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we passed through Guilin breifly, and couldn't get any accomodation, so we came to this nearby village of Yangshuo. It is a bit more touristy here, but it is amazingly beautiful with the limestone peaks and rivers. Today we took a bamboo raft cruise up and down the Li river. It was beautiful. We were happy that we passed on a cruise on a big boat from Guilin as this worked out to be cheaper and better.

We stopped briefly on a sandbar and there were instantly about 7 asian women thrusting exotic fruit/veggies in our faces to buy. One thing looked like a raw potato in the shape of a garlic clove. What am I going to do with a raw potato? We said no thank you about 50 times, then finally I just covered my face with my hands and then suggested that they ask the boat driver if he wants some fruit. They seemed to laugh and leave us alone then.

The scenery here is breathtaking, the mountains are totally different from ours. There are lots of bike paths to expore the different mountains, rivers and caves nearby. We love it here so much we are staying for 5 days! we found a good little cafe/hotel called the Backstreet Cafe. They like to rock the Backstreet Boys and Micheal Bolton music in the cafe! Food specialties here are banana pancakes and beer fish.

The cost of everything is very reasonable here. Here are some interesting price comparaisons:
A one hour bus ride for two is slightly less than the cost of one cold beer in a cafe (about $1.25 Can.)
The cost of an average supper for both of us, with a drink is about the same as a night in the hotel room we're staying in (about nine dollars Can.)
A gruelling 25 hour train ride in a sleeper car is a steal of a deal at 50 dollars Canadian!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

our raft driverour raft driver
our raft driver

these bamboo rafts have a small honda motor to putter upstream
Xingping villageXingping village
Xingping village

I think some of the buildings in this town were built around 300-400 a.d.


1st October 2007

Great to see you enjoyed Yangshuo
Great to see you enjoyed the beauty of Yangshuo. Regards Peter http://www.yangshuo-travel-guide.com
2nd October 2007

Sounds like you are having a lot of great experiences and that you didn't care much for pig intestines. I

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb