Nanning


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Nanning
October 19th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: View from the caves.. 24 secs
2: Feeding the monkeys.. 53 secs
Days 46-48

Woke up freezing this morning cos of the air con and headed out of the room where the heat hit me like getting off a plane.. Went out for a stroll to see what was about and had to go back to the hostel as it was soo hot!! Sat for a while to cool down and then went food shopping, picked up what i thought was rice, veg and sweets (sugar coated skittles mmm!!) but when i got nack and opened the rice it smelt so bad it made me gag!!

We decided to head to some caves later that day and got some translations from the receptionist which made it alot easier.. Althought the bus driver insisted in driving in the middle of the road and playing chicken with every oncoming car/bus/truck.. When we got to the caves and walked up the hill there were aload of monkeys there the others fed them but i stayed back opting not to get bitten and some rare disease that maked you look like the elephant man.. We had to wait outside the cave for the guide who came down with bells on (literally) and a strange square hat.. However she spoke no english so for all i know she was saying that ' you'll never make it out alive' which was what was in my head, as the cave was so far underground and if itweren't for the occasional fairy lights i could've sworn we were in the sequel to the descent.. After finally making our way out and flagging down a bus we were back at the station and opted to get a tut tut back to the station.. Basically it was a very old bike with a huge tin can strapped to the back.. I thought the bus ride was bad but after 20 minutes of going 10 mph the wrong way down a dual carriage way and then crossing whilst the whole time violently vibrating i'd have to say he wasn;t so bad.. After shaking my way out of the metal death ride and checking that i hadn't shat myself we started walking back..

We stopped for food half way back and got dog, it was a bit dissappointing and just tasted like stringy beef stew.. After eating we picled up some beers (18 for less than 6 pound) and went to the roof of the hostel, played a few card games and picked up 3 more travellers Ling Ywing who's chinese, Wilf from Brighton and Jacqueline from Glasgow all of whom are coming to Vietnam with us then maybe to Cambodia as well?!

The next morning i opted for staying in bed until i felt well enough to venture out for my McDonalds, on the was i saw a side of the road foot doctor, a facialist, a tattooist and a dentist with someone in his dentist/deck chair!! Watched a few films that night as we were up early the next morning for the bus..

Not feeling so good which isn't so convenient as we have a 3 hr trip to the border on a bus with no toilets then 2 hrs at the border followed by a 4hr trip from the border to Hanoi.. This was made even more annoying by the bus drivers obsession with the horn he tooted every vehicle/ passer by anything every 2 seconds!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



20th October 2008

I didnt actually read this because i couldnt be bothered to be honest but you ate dog?! thats just sick nanc sort it out x
20th October 2008

also.. saw 5 is out on friday!!!!!!!!! woooo
22nd October 2008

Street vendors
Hello darling, really enjoying the blogs and the pics are great. Seems like your group is growing by the week be able to start a football team by the time you reach oz. You will have to get us the recipe for roasted pigeon sounds delicious. Nan and grandad got your postcards and think your still in poland, grandad is looking for exchange so he can move there and enjoy the cheap beer, haven't told him about prices in China. Anyway bye for now looking forward to future blogs. Love you Dad.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb