Guangxi University


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Nanning
October 23rd 2007
Published: October 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Entrance to Guangxi UniversityEntrance to Guangxi UniversityEntrance to Guangxi University

The banner is welcoming the first-year students to the university. They come the week after the older students begin and then have a week of orientation before their classes begin.
Hi folks,
Teaching at Guangxi University is a great experience. It's such a beautiful place with wonderfully warm days and nights, who wouldn't love it! Since Mid-Autumn Festival the weather has cooled off; it's now around 29 during the day and goes down to 14 - 16 at night and the humidity has dropped considerably. We Northern Ontarians would say it was a lovely summer day, but the students are finding the mornings cold - they come to class wearing long sleeves and jackets.

I have five sections of first-year oral English, 3 sections of second-year oral English, and 2 sections of first-year writing; a total of 20 hours a week. There are about 26 students in each class. My classes start at 7:50 each day but Tuesday, when I start at 10:30. We have a 40 minute class, a 10 min break and then 40 more minutes of intense learning! That means that I'm finished my first class at 9:20 and start the next one at 10:30 - too short a time to go home, but too long to just sit. I usually spend the time talking to the students, they all want to practice English - even if
Typical DormTypical DormTypical Dorm

Every student lives on campus, regardless of their year or age. This is a typical dorm. Some of these clothes are hanging to dry but most of them are there because there are no closets in the dorms. Students have to wash their clothes by hand!
they aren't in my classes. I'm finished every day but Thursday, at 12:00. On Thursdays I have a class at 2:40. Everything stops, and closes from 12:00 to 2:30 or 3:00 for 'nap-time' and most people really do nap! All the students do, and they think we're crazy because we don't - or at least I don't. It's Alan's favourite time of the day!

I survived the 'experts' visit. We were fortunate in that they only went to observe in the Chinese teachers' rooms. There was a lot of fussing and worrying before they came and while they were here. I hope they give the Foreign Language College a good rating, the teachers and administrators worked hard to make sure everything was as perfect as they could make it.

I have a favour to ask. In November I am doing a lesson on postcards with my first-year classes - its about memories and beautiful places you have been or would like to go. I was hoping some of you might want to send us a postcard with a beautiful scene on it. All the students are interested in Canada, especially the snow, since many of my students have
On CampusOn CampusOn Campus

You see a lot of these carriers around the streets on campus. It wouldn't be a job I would be able to manage.
never seen snow. If you want to send a postcard send it to

Guangxi University
Foreign Language College
B.Yule
100 University Road
Nanning,
China, 530004

Thanks.







Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Cafeteria/RestaurantCafeteria/Restaurant
Cafeteria/Restaurant

This place is huge. There are booths along the side windows, two of which are reserved for foreign teachers. They do that because there is one waitress who speaks enough English to allow us to order from the English menu. The food is very good!
Campus "Taxi"Campus "Taxi"
Campus "Taxi"

For about 1 yuan they will take you anywhere on the campus. Notice all the umbrellas in the background. It's not raining, its too hot and all the women are worried about getting too 'black'!
Greeting the ExpertsGreeting the Experts
Greeting the Experts

These students are in Zhuang traditional dress and are waiting to greet the visiting 'experts'. They are holding gifts for each visitor.
Zhuang BallsZhuang Balls
Zhuang Balls

This is what each 'expert' received from the girls. Traditionally these balls were thrown by girls to a group of boys and the boy who caught the ball would become that girl's husband. Now they are used as a symbol of this area.
Typical ClassroomTypical Classroom
Typical Classroom

This is one of my Friday classes. The wooden chairs are attached like auditorium seats, five in eah row in the middle section and three on either side. Most classes have seven rows of seats, this one is a little bigger.
Side of ClassroomSide of Classroom
Side of Classroom

Look at the windows. All the windows on the first floor of the building have bars on them but no curtains or screens.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb