#58 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ( Autumn Gold Harvest near Guilin)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Guangxi » Longji Rice Terraces
September 28th 2006
Published: September 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The day's drive toward the West from the beautiful garden city of Guilin in Guangxi Province, turned into the next unforgettable journey, through a part of South-China, where little has changed for a thousand years. Only recently has a better road opened the way for "voyeur-tourists" like me to visit one of Nature's Great Paintings. The Longji Titian (or aptly named Dragon Backbone Terraces of ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

shades of color ...shades of color ...
shades of color ...

...and nature's palette
This is work, for which a modern solution has not been found.This is work, for which a modern solution has not been found.
This is work, for which a modern solution has not been found.

Bamboo sliced in half is carried from terrace to terrace to help funnel the water levels of each.
Ping An Village of the Yao ethnic communityPing An Village of the Yao ethnic community
Ping An Village of the Yao ethnic community

Many of the large, traditional wooden homes are able to accomodate visitors.
step by stepstep by step
step by step

Soon, each terrace will be drained of its water.
They asked me to help with the harvest.They asked me to help with the harvest.
They asked me to help with the harvest.

The harvest will be by hand, and tons of rice will be thrashed in the hills, before being carried to the village.
This is what it is all about.This is what it is all about.
This is what it is all about.

In a few weeks, each terrace will be drained of its water, and the difficult work of the rice harvest will begin.
beautiful for centuriesbeautiful for centuries
beautiful for centuries

Remember, that each terrace is filled with water. Without it, the rice would not grow.
hot and spicy hot and spicy
hot and spicy

Deep in the hills, this Yao woman was tending to her crop of red peppers, drying in the sun.
undressing?undressing?
undressing?

At first I thought, these Yao women were undressing for me, and I started running!
I could have one or all of them??I could have one or all of them??
I could have one or all of them??

But they only wanted to show me their long and shiny black hair.
They offered me their ancestor's bundle of hair.They offered me their ancestor's bundle of hair.
They offered me their ancestor's bundle of hair.

Why do I have so little and they have so much??
Now who is the prettiest, Ms. Lee asked??Now who is the prettiest, Ms. Lee asked??
Now who is the prettiest, Ms. Lee asked??

... and her husband quickly answered.



29th September 2006

I don't know how you do it....I would have paid for the ride up!! :)
2nd October 2006

WOW
Your blogs seem to not stop amazing me. These pictures you take make you feel as if you were. It look as if you were in another world. The description you also write out are amazing. YOu should write a book on this.
5th October 2006

hey!!
OMG its sooo beautiful there! the pictures you take and your discriptions make it seem like i was there with you; if only : ( anyways, i starting to organize that fundraising event we spoke about before you left. If you could email me at vcarrasco_20@yahoo.com so we can discuss the specifics i would greatly appreciate it. Take care!! Miss you!!!
10th October 2006

HALLO!
hey schneider! i havent left you a comment in foreverrrrrr... and while i find myself drowning in hw for a certain english teacher, i could not wait any longer to send you a hello. as always, we are all thinking about you... i think you would be flattered to know how much we mention you and our memories of you in our daily lives. im still going to save a spot for you in my yearbook in case you decide to drop by before we go off to college. i cant even believe it is almost time... and you helped us get to his moment. keep posting... i learn so much about the world by just viewing your pictures. love always :)
31st October 2006

yooo
hey schneider, im so glad to see your last login was today... everybody had gotten worried cause you hadnt posted a blog in a while. tell us how you're doing!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb