LANGZHOU to TIANZHU


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Gansu » Wuwei
June 9th 2014
Published: June 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

LANGZHOU: REST DAY



Today was our designated rest day and it was most welcome. Didn't do much, wandered the town, investigated the 8 level super smart shopping centre, 7 levels of fashion, 1 level of tech. Purchased a wifi hot spot machine which enables me to connect into the hotel LAN, if the room has one, machine then broadcasts wifi, much like a router. The wifi in the hotels generally has a weak signal, which usually prevents photo upload, and if too many are attempting to use it, then generally it fails, so supposedly this new machine will assist in overcoming the difficulty. A VPN is also required in China as social network sites, INSTAGRAM, etc, GOOGLE are often government blocked. Sometimes the tech is overwhelming!!

In the afternoon changed money, only possible at Bank of China, a laborious process, then cleaned the bike and degreased the chain. A messy job. Also put some clothes in the hotel laundry, my white ((semi) cycling shirt came back a muddy grey. Hardly recognisable. So much for that!

The city comes alive in the afternoon, with many in the central square undertaking ethnic dances, waltzes , forbidden poetry writing using water ( invisible ink), roller skating and inline trick skating, Chinese segways rolling, shuttlecock, and wide usage of the outdoor exercise machines. Also scattered around the square are myriad ice-cream vendors. Have enjoyed each ice cream sampled on this trip so far, that is, most evenings. Ate another delicious meal, LANGZHOU style. Dishes of sheep ribs (tasty) but I doubt to Mem's taste, quite fatty, beef dish with potatoes and chilli, chicken cubes with garlic, black pepper and onion, served with a special herbal tea and rice. The beer was miraculously cold!

Then home to pack and bed.



TIANZHU:



Distance: 150 Kms SubT. 2456 Kms Bal 10,035 Kms Road Condition: country roads. 25% rotten.

Weather: sunny and smoggy Cooler

Time in Saddle: 6.5 hrs Av Speed: av. 22. kph. Av Cadence. Rpm

Elevation: 1070 m

Calories burned : E 4250

Left hotel at 6.45 after car park breakfast. Fast 50 km riding along the Yellow R. LANGZHOU follows the river for 30 Kms, the river walk looked appealing with a mix of exercise equipment, shuttlecock, dancing, and walking.

After crossing the Yellow R we expected the hills to start, but they were gentle. We climbed 1070 m over the day, but it was disguised by the distance. The scenery was dramatic, barren hills. The hills captured the smog which unfortunately dulled the scenery a little.

The traffic of trucks was a constant noise of horns which often were blasted when at your back wheel.

Arrived hotel at 1.30. Unfortunately told water not working but would be on SOON. 5 hours

later it finally came on. Meanwhile had a bird bath whilst waiting using drinking water. After distance we were all hot and sweaty, so BB was a useful if not satisfying!

Town market today was interesting, many stone fruit varieties and seeds and delicious watermelons. Locals all very friendly, some wanting to practice their smattering of English. All loved being in photos.

Changed room companion tonight, the policy of the stand in tour leader.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



9th June 2014

Wow that food sounds interesting! You are definitely seeing a lot of China on this trip! Glad to hear water came on! xxx

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb