China - Jiayuguan


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Gansu » Jiayuguan
July 9th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The WallThe WallThe Wall

The far Western end of the Great Wall of China
After crossing the Taklamakan desert (lit. go in, don't come out) and visiting the world's second LOWEST late (near Turpan, 175m below sea level) I cross into Gansu province and head for Jiayuguan to visit the fort at the very Western end of the Great Wall.

Building work on the wall began in abou 220BC by the Qin (pronounced Chin) dynasty, and the remaining parts of these sections are made from mud-bricks. The stone parts of the wall that we're used to seeing pictures of were mainly built during the Ming dynasty 1500 years later, in an attempt to keep the Mongols, and later the Manchu, out of China. It proved ineffective on both occasions.

The fort was impressive, with huge fortifications with pagoda-like roof structures, and an excellent museum, but it was difficult to tell which parts were original and whcih were renovated. This was to prove a common problem in China generally.

That evening, we set off fireworks to celebrate our Chinese guide's Birthday. These fireworks are very much like the rockets we get back home, but twice the size and about a twentieth the price. You also set them off in your hands. Sorry mum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Jiayuguan FortJiayuguan Fort
Jiayuguan Fort

Amazing pagoda rooved forts
Surrounded by mountainsSurrounded by mountains
Surrounded by mountains

This place is covered with snow in the winter
Mud-bricksMud-bricks
Mud-bricks

Much of the original wall would have looked like this


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb