Spring Festival:The Big One


Advertisement
Published: February 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My nostrils tingle with the acrid smell of smoke. I have to squint my eyes against the blinding display of dazzling lights and colors. My ears ring with the monstrous explosions that echo against the buildings around me. I repeat my mantra to myself: this is not a warzone; this is the Chinese New Year! The official start of the New Year, according to the Chinese Lunar Calender, was Saturday, F... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Lion Dance Lion Dance
Lion Dance

2 people form the lion-- one holds the head and is the front legs, while the other is the back end, and must perform bent at the waist, holding onto his partner's hips.
ChinaChina
China

It really makes me realize that I live in China when I see the national flag.
ShanghaiShanghai
Shanghai

Traditional market area near a temple
Temple sceneTemple scene
Temple scene

It was incredibly crowded, and the pushing was astounding.
Crowd-pleaserCrowd-pleaser
Crowd-pleaser

This scene depicts several scenes from one of the most famous novels in China: The Three Kingdoms. This book was written during the Three Kingdoms period, which was, shall we say, a very long, long, long time ago.
Giant Frog!Giant Frog!
Giant Frog!

For my mom
Three Kingdoms depictionThree Kingdoms depiction
Three Kingdoms depiction

This chapter must have taken place on a tortoise's back...?
Vegetarian restaurants do exist in China!Vegetarian restaurants do exist in China!
Vegetarian restaurants do exist in China!

There are some delicious restaurants that specialize in preparing tofu to look and taste like meat. It is mind-boggling; these dishes taste exactly like the meat I remember [though not necessarily to my carnivarous comrades].
Nanjing RoadNanjing Road
Nanjing Road

This is a very famous [and expensive] shopping street in Shanghai.



25th February 2007

Merritt!! It's so beautiful! Those nighttime pictures are amazing. I hope you're having a great time, despite the travel woes. If you were here right now you wouldn't be able to get anywhere either. There's a BLIZZARD outside! Miss you!
26th February 2007

Wow! How did FuLiCheng not go up in smoke?! The pic of all the fireworks lined up in the lighting area is crazy! That pic. of the guy working the booth looks ecstatic. The best one was the carnival ad. I just laughed, shook my head and threw my hands up in disbelief. Great pictures, great stories...great times. May your future adventures be as eventful as it has been...minus the time at the airport.

Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 14; dbt: 0.0144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb