Feed


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Changping » Changping
November 6th 2013
Published: November 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yo Pao MienYo Pao MienYo Pao Mien

So delicious!
Like any city, there is a variety of food available in Beijing from traditional Chinese food to American Diners, Sushi and traditional Italian. While restaurants and grocery stores, especially in our part of the city, may have many of the items we are used to, they also have quite different products and practices. Here are some of our observations.


• Outside the North gate of our apartment community is our favorite noodle shop. It is nothing special on the inside or out, but the Yo Pao Mien (Yo Pow Mee-en) with Ji dan (Egg) is extraordinary. The thick wide noodles are cooked with spicy oil, onion, leek, bok choy and sprouts. On top is a thinly fried egg. For 2 servings & drinks it usually costs about 30RMB/$6 total.
• A few shops down from the Noodle Shop is the Cheese shop. The owner studied cheese making in France. There are only a few cheeses available but they are all hand made and very fresh! Here is an article about it. http://nicelymadeinchina.com/2010/06/05/le-fromager-de-pekin-beijing-北京)/
• Every Tuesday and Thursday before Chinese class we meet our friends for lunch at the restaurant outside our school. All the Foreign teachers call it "Old Man's" because of the nice old man owner and because we can't read the Chinese name. Here we get traditional northern Chinese fare with family style dishes to share like egg & tomato, spinach & peanut, eggplant, pepper & potato and Kung Poa Chicken. We get rice on the side as well. People often get dishes to share in China rather than individual portions. For the 4 of us here with drinks it usually costs about 90RMB/$15 total.
• In the University area a few subway stops from us as well as the downtown, more international area are some more Western style restaurants. One of our first nights we went to one called "Home Plate" that served some legit BBQ. I had a bean burger with some yummy french fries. The guys said the ribs were really good. Also downtown is the mexican restaurant, QMex that we have been to a couple of times. I had a veggie burrito and fish tacos both of which were very good, though not quite like we have in the states. These restaurants tend to be a lot more expensive. The tacos were 25RMB each/$4 each.
• There are many places in the city that try to do Pizza. We have one by us that is called Yummybox. They have really good NY style pizza. Our favorite is the 4 cheese that has pesto on it. We can get it delivered which is great! This is a splurge as well with a pizza for 2 with a little leftover is 78RMB/$13.
• We have a grocery store in the mall right across the street from us that is quite nice. All the usual departments are there, the items are just a little different. The produce section is large and we have bought a lot of nice veggies like eggplant, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, mushrooms and broccoli. Since everything should be washed well & cooked we haven't gone in for any fresh greens which we definitely miss. There is open produce as well as packaged produce that says "organic" or "natural" though we haven't gotten a straight answer about which produce is better. The fish department has a lot of whole fish and the meat department sells a lot of different parts of the animals. There are rows and rows of dumplings, noodles, dried fruit, dried meat, soy sauces & vinegars. They also have a good little sushi section. We are able to get tuna, mayonnaise, tortillas & salsa though they are more expensive. The only Peanut Butter is Skippy.
• Open markets are another source for produce and bulk items. We have gotten a few snacks like dried fruit and nuts. Soon my friend Vicky is going to show me whe



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Spinach & PeanutsSpinach & Peanuts
Spinach & Peanuts

Seasoned with vinegar, yum.
Jia Jue Ji DanJia Jue Ji Dan
Jia Jue Ji Dan

Egg & pepper, A little bit spicy.
Kung Pao ChickenKung Pao Chicken
Kung Pao Chicken

One of the only dishes that we have seen at both Chinese & Chinese American restaurants
Dee San XianDee San Xian
Dee San Xian

Eggplant, Potato & Pepper. Warm and comforting. Really good with the egg.
Korean sushi at the mallKorean sushi at the mall
Korean sushi at the mall

Note the metal chopsticks!
Picture MenuPicture Menu
Picture Menu

Most restaurants have picture menus, which is obviously helpful. If you are stuck, you can point and say "Jega" "This one."


13th November 2013

Chinese Food!
Thanks Shannon! Your blogs are so interesting! This one made me hungry. Glad you're enjoying some good food and company....
13th November 2013

The food looks better than what I expected! It seems mostly reasonable too. Are you getting used to the air \"quality\" and how is your Chinese coming along? Thanks for the update!

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb