Familiar


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Changping » Changping
October 9th 2013
Published: October 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Green IKEAGreen IKEAGreen IKEA

One of our first trips in Beijing was to Ikea. One of our first purchases was green sheets - just like at home! Though they are not as soft....We also picked up the same glasses that we have at home. It's funny that we are a lot closer to Ikea than in the US but then again, its not an American company. The fact that we may think of it as so is proof of globalization!
It is funny how we are always looking for the familiar, something to relate to what we already know. Being here in China though we are surrounded by many differences, we are also enveloped by the familiar, the similar. These range from stores and brands (H&M, MacDonald's, the ubiquitous Coca Cola, Converse) to plants (black eyed susans in the rural fields, squash growing in our apartment complex) and even people (wow, that guy is just like Scott!). It is challenging to find sweets but Kendall has been lucky enough to find Snickers bars for 3 RMB (50 cents). We hear there was a Home Depot but it closed because labor and most materials are so cheap no one wants to Do-It-Yourself. Here are some pictures from China that you may find familiar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Isn't that squash?Isn't that squash?
Isn't that squash?

This is growing (really tall) all around our apartment community as well as around the city in general. However, I have not seen any fruits come from the flowers. In the store we have bought squash that is shaped like yellow squash but dark and light green shaped with a similar flavor.
Great hikesGreat hikes
Great hikes

Just like in VT and NH, there are lots of hikes to be had just outside of the city with great views. Though the climbs are steeper and tend to have stairs, the views are green and full.
Cheesy tourist attractionsCheesy tourist attractions
Cheesy tourist attractions

Ah the familiar sights and sounds of capitalism. We took a tour bus with our work to a part of the great wall. Some of it had old stairs, a massive dam and cool views. Other parts had bungee jumping, zip lines, bumper boats, ring tosses and cotton candy.
Good old Century 21Good old Century 21
Good old Century 21

No the agents aren't wearing the fabulous gold jackets of old but it was comforting to see this familiar sight across from our favorite noodle shop.


9th October 2013
Great hikes

This is beautiful. So cool that there is so much green right outside the city!
9th October 2013

Those are great pics Shannon! It's so true that we gravitate to what is familiar and known to us. Thanks for the pics!
9th October 2013

Isn't it funny
Isn't it funny the things you see and take comfort in? For me it was KFC in Morocco - and I haven't eaten at KFC in years! I hope you're having a wonderful time and settling in - it's great that you have each other, the most familiar of all. Miss you. <3 Sarah
27th October 2013

familiar friend
We are looking forward to your friend Ming coming for a visit. It will be nice to have an American friend outside of school!
11th October 2013
Cheesy tourist attractions

Very cool!
12th October 2013

Good Wishes
Just happened to come across your blog. Great photos.

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb