Monday in Beijing - Warm & Summer-like


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Beihai Park
April 5th 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday morning the move from the Chengdu hotel to the airport was a little rough as I wasn't feeling that well and had developed a mild fever. We were also over-weight at the airport check-in. On top of that, because we were late for various reasons I didn't get a good seat assignment. However on the plane the gods took mercy and I was moved to an exit row center seat with a big Chinese guy on one side and an average one on the other. I slept through the flight and shook the fever by the time we landed in Beijing two hours later. After checking in at the hotel we had something to drink and something to eat at the hotel cafe, then relaxed for a short while in the room prior to going out.

The day was beautiful, sunny, warm, clear, blue skies, seemingly fresh air, and a sense of summer with people everywhere out strolling and walking. DP, WM and I grabbed a cab and headed for Behai, the center of Beijing. It is a giant park with a man-made lake, and a man-made mountain with a giant Tibetan style stupa on the top. We walked the long-way around the lake and then climbed the stairs to the top of the stupa for one of the best views in Beijing - especially looking across to the Imperial Palace, or the Temple of Heaven on the adjacent man-made hill.

Today, if we have a chance, we will swim in the large Hyatt swimming pool designed like a Vegas theme park. After that is the Antique Market to see what there is to see. I know several people with shops that often, if not usually, have interesting things.

The hotel is more expensive than what I would normally stay in, however DP arranged an employee discount. There are a few perks, such as breakfast included served in the executive lounge and dinner if you like to graze, and are in the lounge before 8:00. So, all of that should be taken into consideration as well. But on a personal note, the hotel is a scary place for tall people. You really have to be less than six feet in size to really be comfortable and safe walking down the corridors and going through door frames. The Executive Lounge and 17th floor hallways are the most narrow, with the lowest ceilings, that I have experienced here in China. It is claustrophobic. I don't know if the rest of the hotel is the same or only the 17th floor. The hotel room itself is fine for the most part although if I want to look out the window I have to avoid smacking my head on the window frame that sticks out unnaturally low and far - playing with my sense of depth perception.

Today is a little misty but it looks like it is beginning to burn off and be another warm sunny day. It really does feel like summer here - very timely and re-refreshing. Yes, the sun is starting to break through even as I write this.

It has been a good but grueling two weeks in Chengdu. Time for some R&R and spending time at some of my favourite Beijing hang-outs.

Short List of Things To Do:
Yonhegong Temple
Aniko Stupa
Bodhagaya Five Peaked Temple
Imperial Palace (Private Tour of Sealed Tantric Temple)
Capital Museum (Densathil Sculpture - Private Tour?)
China Tibet Research Institute (Private Tour)
China Tibetology Center (New Museum Private Tour)
Beijing Bookstores
Antique Market
Friends & Colleagues to meet
Chengda Potala Temple
Emperor's Tomb (Tibetan style architecture)
Swimming in the hotel pool





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

An Interesting SignAn Interesting Sign
An Interesting Sign

"May we remind you: Please be self-restraint and be a good tourist to mold a well-mannered imagination."


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb