Suzhou's Pan Gate


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Anhui » Huangshan
January 7th 2009
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Suzhou's Pan Gate

Suzhou's Pan Gate is a large scenic area named after the Pan Gate which is one Suzhou's two remaining city gates. The scenic area is beautiful and quite large. The area is filled with gardens, pavilions, lakes, and pathways all beautifully manicured. It is a really beautiful place. The two main features of the area is the Pan Gate and the Auspicious Light Pagoda (Ruiguang). Both are cool in their own right. The pagoda is the oldest pagoda in Suzhou. It costs six kuai extra to climb it, but I thought it was well worth it. The views of the area are really gorgeous from the top. The interior of the pagoda itself was rather run down though and there was a lot of garbage inside. The Pan Gate is a dual gate which has a land and water gate. It is the only one of its kind left in China. It is a huge structure with an ingenious design. Outside the gate is a large walled-in area. Invaders would have to fight their way inside the outer gate to reach this walled-in area and then they could be slaughtered. I really liked the Pan Gate area. It was a beautiful place to stroll and relax a bit while on a tour.

Ticket Price:
Adult: 25rmb
Children under 1.2 meters: Free
Entry to pagoda: 6rmb
Time Needed:
1-2 hours
Hours of Operation:
7:30-6:00
Location:
Southwest suburbs of Suzhou

In September 2008 I was sent on an inspection tour with China Odyssey Tours. I am the Marketing Manager of China Odyssey Tours. No one is told that I work for the company, and since I am a foreigner I can experience a tour the way our customers do. That way I get the real experience without any VIP treatment. I check on the sites, hotels, restaurants, and guides to ensure that they all meet our rigid quality guidelines.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Suzhou's Pan GateSuzhou's Pan Gate
Suzhou's Pan Gate

This is the Pan Gate


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb