Phnom Penh City Tour & Killing Field


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South
November 30th 1940
Published: February 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

February 23, 2011 – Tuesday
Weather – very warm & humid

Upon arrival at the Phnom Penh Airport we were processed through their immigration very quickly. Due to repacking at the YVR airport Susan and I had put our Cambodian visa picture in checked luggage therefore we were forced to pay 2$US at the Phnom Penh Airport along with the visa cost of 25$US.

Today is day one of our tour and we are overcome by the poverty in this city. Phnom Penh is dirty, dusty and every time you step out of a tuc tuc (motor taxi) there were children either begging or trying to sell trinkets. Glue sniffing was very prevalent among the youth. Our guide Lim was very informative, offering the necessary information as we toured the National Museum of Khmer Arts, the Silver Pagoda inside the Royal Palace.

After a wonderful buffet lunch consisting of local food, we travelled 15k south of Phnom Penh to pay our respect to those killed during the Khem Rouge Regime in 1957. It is simply unbelievable to hear of the numbers killed that were buried in mass graves. To read about this is one thing but to see it is absolutely heart breaking. It is no wonder that this county has suffered so much and is still struggling to heal.

I actually had a 5$US bill rejected at our hotel today. (Phomn Penh Hotel) After paying for a pot of tea with what I thought looked like a good bill the waitress informed me that it was old and not acceptable. So be warned, what may look okay to you is not okay in this part of the world. I even ironed some of my money to make it look crisp and sharp.





Advertisement



28th February 2011

Hi Mom, Sounds like you guys are already having a good time. Its funny hearing that your American bill got rejected! We were at the casino last night and won some nice, new, crisp, "coloured" Canadian dollars. Happy Ironing!! Mike and Lindsey

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb