Grand Market Hubbub


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
May 12th 2016
Published: May 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We hired a four seater tuk tuk for half a day, to take us around various sites. The kids made us laugh when they began a period of Royal waves. Our first stop was the grand market which was a huge butter coloured Art Deco ziggurat with rows of canvas covered stalls spinning out of each of the six entrance. Piles of fabrics and clothes, live chickens and lobsters, rows of fake watches and handbags and every sort of exotic fruit and veg. Interwoven in the shops were a complete array of workshops including wig weavers, tailors and nail bars.
Cas was in her element and it was clear that some retail therapy was needed. We gave the kids some pocket money and Ed was chuffed with a large G Shock watch. We had to say no to Hat's request for a wig and some of the dresses that she indicated might be great for Shell and Craig's wedding had to be firmly vetoed.
We then went to Sugar & Spice which is a cafe/shop/beautician and is a charity that helps people escape the sex trade. Ed had a head massage which he loved (we hope he remembers some of the moves for us). Cas and Hat had some girlie time and had their fingers and toes shaped and painted.
Our driver took us around a few more streets, including the Royal palace, before reaching our hotel for a late lunch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb