Phnom Penh, Cambodia's beautiful capital


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
October 13th 2014
Published: October 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Phnom Penh


Lying on the banks of three important rivers, Tonlé Sap, Mekong and Bassac, Phnom Penh is the southernmost capital of the ‘Mekong 4’ countries. The city that has suffered the loss of more than 90%!o(MISSING)f its population in the seventies is still recovering, and is one of the fastest growing in the region. Even though its relatively recent history was everything but nice, the people of this pleasant city are one of the nicest, and warmest in the whole region. Its relaxed atmosphere, with a great choice of hotels, bars and restaurants make it a great destination for a holiday escape from the fuss of its neighboring counterparts.

Urbanism

The urbanism of Phnom Penh is the most complete in the whole region. The orthogonal urban grid is combined with several circle roads that go around the city center starting from the Riverfront. Most of the city lies on one side of the Tonlé Sap river, while the rest lies on a peninsula between the rivers (T. S. and Mekong), a small artificial island on the south, and on the other side of the river Bassac. The center point of the city and the beginning of several axial roads is the Central Market, which lies a few minutes away from the defunct Train Station. The City center is marked by Freedom Park to the north, Monivong Boulevard on the west, Sihanouk Boulevard on the south and the riverfront on the east. The other popular area is south of the Sihanouk Boulevard, where numerous guesthouses, cafes and restaurants are located.

You may view the whole text here: http://happyfrogtravels.com/guide-phnom-penh-cambodia-city-of-four-faces/


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb