A Boat Ride up the Mekong to Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 12th 2012
Published: March 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The river boat from Phenom Penh to Siem Reap was brilliant. We propped ourselves on the roof of the boat and relaxed whilst taking in the local fisherman, farmers and floating village after floating village. A floating village being a whole township floating on water. The reason being, as explained by a local, is that the price of land is too high so living on the water has become an option for many.

We also discovered that the Scrubba wash bag makes a great pillow for napping on a boat with the grip surface preventing it from sliding.

Upon entering the Guest house at Siem Reap, the owner was a little lost as to where the rest of our luggage was. When we explained that what she saw was all we were traveling with, her reaction was that she'd never seen anyone travel so light. It got us thinking that the reality of travelling is that often you can't help but overpack and in reality you don't necessarily need much more than a couple of sets of clothes to wear.

Thats where the Scrubba wash bag has stepped in for us. It takes less time than a shower and your clothes are fresh and ready to go by the time you wake up. We are not quite at that stage yet, but I think the trip could conceivably be done with just 1 T-shirt, 1 pair of shorts and socks and 2 pairs of underwear. Wash every night, wear the spare pair of underwear at night and then dress with the dry clothes in the morning. Maybe next trip!

With not a lot of time left till dusk, we thought we'd leave the temples for tomorrow and find some a local Khmer (Cambodian) meal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb