Cambodia & back to Bangkok


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 18th 2011
Published: August 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After our last messy night in Vietnam, we were a little worse for wear getting up for our 8 hour bus journey to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Luckily crossing the border proved to be fairly easy this time and we arrived at the hostel to say a final farewell to the legend that is Bryan Fitzgerald. We were a little sceptical about Phnom Penh having heard it's dodgy from other travellers, and passing a prostitute on the stairs to our room at 4pm. But we went down to some bars by the river and it was fine, quite a nice place actually! The must-see things in Phnom Penh are S-21 and the Killing Fields, so we headed there the next day. S-21 is a high school turned security prison where the Cambodians were detained and tortured under the Khymer Rouge, then most were taken to the Killing Fields to be killed - so we saw their cells, torture methods, photographs of the victims, mass graves, plus skulls, bones, teeth etc. It wasn't the most pleasant day we've had but interesting all the same. Naturally it was dry whilst we were in the museum but tipped it down when we out in the fields.

We then travelled with Laura to Siem Reap, famous for its hundreds of temples and had a long day tuk tuking round to some of the best ones, including Angkor Wat. It sounds kind of boring but actually was a brill day and the temples were stunning, you venture round them like an explorer. They're hard to describe and all very different so see the pictures on Sarah's Facebook. The Cambodian people are really accommodating and have the English stereotype down, "Cup of tea mate, lovely jubbly!" Again a thunder storm started and we got back to the hotel in candlelight (power cut) so we all used Laura's head torch to have a cold shower, being covered in dust and dirt from the day's explorations. We had a night out on the famous Pub Street (a street full of pubs - handy) and ended up dancing the night away in Temple Club, joined by a German girl Chrissy.

The following day we went for a fish pedicure, where they had the normal little fish as well as some massive ones half the size of your foot. Chrissy made a bet for $10 that she'd put her face in with the big ones. After checking with Dr Fish that it was safe to, he replied 'Yeah! I'll hold your legs!' so she went ahead. Hilarious. We then got some food supplies from the Market to take to a local orphanage. The kids there were really cute and we spent an hour looking around and chatting to them. Our good deed of the trip done.

We travelled back to Bangkok in preparation for our flight to Bali, we went out to 'Cabbages & Condoms' restaurant, where they give out condoms instead of after dinner mints, and they make people sculptures and general decor out of condoms - it's impressive! We spent our last day with Craig (who we met in Vietnam) watching Harry Potter - amazing - and having a big night out! He lives in Bangkok so showed us the sights, a classy rooftop bar serving mojitos, followed by a ping pong show, perhaps not so classy. The show was unbelievable! We won't go in to details but wow... funny night. So come 3.30am we had a drunken airport run ready for our flight at 6am!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.2555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb