Phnom Pehn


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
June 9th 2011
Published: June 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We were really excited when we got to Phnom Pehn as we had a plan to visit the Killing fields and museum to learn about the genocide in Cambodia in the 70's. We arrived in the evening and went to a local bar to watch a film on the history of the genocide as we felt we should probably brush up on our knowledge as none of us (ignorantly) knew much about what had happened. Lets just say this film did not really help us at all! It was pretty pointless and i begrudge paying the $3 fee to watch it!

We got up early the next day and went to the museum first! The whole experience really opened my eyes to the suffering that Cambodian people experienced by there own people! The museum actually turned out to be in the cruelest of torture camps during the genocide. We hired a guide to take us round and he turned out to have been alive during the genocide by Polpot and as a child was turned into a slave who worked day and night with little food. We learnt so much and i can only compare what happened to Hitler and the concentration camps in Germany! A man named Polpot wanted a communist Cambodia so he tortured and killed his people to make this happen! It was disgusting and i was so ashamed that i knew nothing about it up until that day!

Seeing the Killing Fields was so emotional, we visited the mass graves of a thousands of cambodian victims of the regime! I was so exhausted after the day, i feel it drained me so much emotionally and i feel i learnt so much.

Lisa was ill for the majority of our stay in Phnom Pehn with a fever and we had a scary experience when she fainted in a market on our last day! I have never been so scared, we weren't really sure what to do but she was ok after a while! We just stayed in that night in the hostel with her and watched movies!It was quite a nice break after all the partying we have done!We left the next day to make our way to Vietnam!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb