CAMBODIA - PHNOM PENH - LEBIZ HOTEL


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 21st 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lebiz Hotel+LibraryLebiz Hotel+LibraryLebiz Hotel+Library

I love the lobby; excellent low key aesthetic. Very relaxing. Check out Peap's mural. The entire place is just what you need after a hot day and the pool makes it.
Early in February I made a short visa run from Thailand to Phnom Penh, a two day stopover to see some old friends and get out of Thailand for a break. It's a 50 minute/$200 flight from Bangkok, so this is a very viable option for regional travel. Phnom Penh has changed radically since I was there last in the mid-90's when during the last coup it was bandit country and you sat on the hotel roof looking at the tracer arching overhead.

Now things are much different. PP is a relatively clean, quieter town with some civilized restaurants - I ate a very pleasant lunch at Cafe Metro by the river and enjoyed staying at this little boutique hotel where Peap, aka Samapeap Tarr, a rising name in the local and regional art world, has painted the delightfully restful mural behind the bar in the lobby. Samapeap takes an ecletic approach to his art, bringing serious street cred as a graffiti artist to traditional Cambodian (his mother's home) and New Zealand art (where his father is from). Cool stuff!.

LeBiz Hotel + Library is one of the new boutique hotels. It falls short of being pretentious, partly because of its very aesthetic decor, almost
RoomRoomRoom

I found this just a little too Spartan for my taste. But everything was very clean and comfortable.
Spartan. I just get the "...+ Library" bit, tho' whether a line of (rather nice) bookshelves in the middle of the lobby really qualifies.... well, as I said, just short of pretentious. But the staff is sweet, very young and very willing to help and the breakfast is freshly cooked. I wish they could learn to make really hot coffee but otherwise no complaints.

I found the room adequate, but after a while the "interrogation room" white paint got to me and I disliked not having a room with a view; not a place I could spend hours working in. Loved the shower, nice and high (for a tall lad like myself) and hot water just fell straight down. Awesome!

Room rates start from just over $50/night. Centrally situated and safe, about 30 minutes ($10 by taxi - but they'll pick you up) from the airport.

One last comment on PP: be prepared for the EXTORTIONATE departure tax of $25 - one of the most expensive on record. Visa on arrival is OK for $20 and easily done, but $25 to leave? What the f....?????? Cambodia wants tourists and a place like Lebiz is ideal for a
+ Library?+ Library?+ Library?

As I said, something of a stretch. But the overall look of the lobby is very pleasant.
short stay, so please don't sting us in the tail when we leave!

Lebiz
79F Street 128,
Phnom Penh Cambodia
+855 23 998 608/610
Email: stay@lebizhotel.com






Advertisement



21st February 2011

travel
Thanks for sharing very informative nice one...http://www.myvillasingreece.com

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb