Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
December 14th 2010
Published: December 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, I have fallen very far behind on this blog. We have run into some internet problems along the way,so not able to post and we have also taken the time to enjoy the journey rather than writing about it.

So....Cambodia. Not at all what I expected. I thought this would just be a continuation of Vietnam. Boy was I wrong. The change was evident very shortly after floating across the boarder. Cambodia appears to be slightly more prosperous than Vietnam. The people in the country side are still poor, but you don't see the squaller that is everywhere in Vietnam.
Phnom Penh was a total surprise, it is a modern, clean, vibrant city considering all they have gone through in the last 50 years. The roads are well maintained, lots of new construction, and again, very clean.

After what we saw in Vietnam, we decided to avoid the war related sites, so did not go to the killing fields and the genicide museum, opting instead for the grand palace and a day trip to the wild life sanctuary. We also spent many hours walking the fascinating streets, soaking in the sights and sounds of the city. We hired Mr. Smiley and his tuc-tuc for one day, and he took us to all the hidden gems in the city.

We only spent one week in Cambodia, but it will be worth a return visit to explore more.

Next installment, Pattaya, Thailand.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

shrine on grande palace groundsshrine on grande palace grounds
shrine on grande palace grounds

the intricacy of the hand carving is unbelievable


18th December 2010

Glad to hear all seems to be well
Hey John & Iris, Just checked out the new updates from the blog. Great pics and accompanying commentary. We'll be thinking aboout you over Christmas and I'll be sure to tell the family of your exploits from the blog. Cheers, Ken
21st December 2010

From what you wrote, cambodia seems like a good place to visit. :)

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb