Journey from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 5th 2010
Published: August 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We found a barginous $3.50 bus to take us to Phnom Penh and agreed that the 6.30am collection would be a wonderful idea... another 5am start for us - woo hoo! we were taken to the bus station which was complete chaos as we stepped off the mini bus we got baskets of bread pushed into our faces along with the dried fish, boiled eggs and the custom made ‘jewellery’.

The journey itself was pretty non eventful, there were no other Westerners on the bus apart from Fliss and myself so we received the customary curious stares from fellow passengers and was surprised to see a young monk with his ear glued to his mobile most of the journey - never seen a monk with a mobile before. Apart from this and the terrible Cambodian DVD entertainment the journey was pretty non eventful but it was great seeing the sights of rural Cambodia as we made the 4 hour drive.

On arrival at the central bus station in Phnom Penh we were hounded by about a million tuk tuk, moto and taxi drivers all hassling us, in our faces trying to pull our rucksacks from our backs and take us to their ‘aunties’ ‘fathers’ etc hotel. We were firm and polite with them and I said stern ‘WAIT’ and they responded by stepping back saying ‘ok ok miss’ I think they were suddenly a bit scared of us - ha ha ha. After we agreed Cambodian style (we now know bartering is the way of life here) for a short tuk tuk ride to our accommodation the driver started gabbling on like a holiday rep trying to sell us various tours- after 5 mins we were like please please just drive!

Phnom Penh is a mad city and crossing the road is definitely done at your own peril....I squeal the best of times when crossing roads but I have never experienced crossing a road like it! I thought it would be fun to visit a local market off the tourist route to feel the ‘real’ city- so bags dumped we headed out (note I do not do make up anymore before leaving a building!).

Fliss was mortified as i led her through what can only be described as a giant boot sale within a multi story car park open structure, each stall stacked to the ceiling with stock from 80’s style stereos, shoes, piles of spices, stacks of rice and Pyjama sets which we now have found to be a common fashion piece for all females in Cambodia and Vietnam. The smells in this place were, shall we say interesting dried fish, sweat and drains all confined in-between the stifling heat of the market - Fliss freaked out and in true princess style demanded air and the exit as she cried ‘I’m going to be sick this smells like pet shops and a fish farm!’ - I’m a celebrity get me out of here came to mind. I just found it highly amusing and some what fascinating - such a contrast to Spitafields!!

Our first night was spent in the central city but we decided the next day to stay for another 2 nights at an area what is known as Lakeside - an area with hostels and guesthouses built out into the inland city lake. There was a really cool bar where there were chairs and sofa literally on the wooden jetty and restaurants served ‘Happy’ pizza with a choice of happy, very happy or extremely happy


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb