Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
December 12th 2009
Published: February 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey Guys,
We'll after seeing the beautiful creations of one group of Khmer people it was time to see the devastating and disturbing work of another. Our stop here was to see the killing fields of the Khmer Rouge as well as their main prison S-21 which was the final destination for far too many Cambodian people. The city of Phnom Penh is actually very nice and has a lot of beautiful Temples, Royal Grounds and french colonial buildings, the city is situated right on the river and in the evening is busy with lots going on.

We started our self tour on a Tuk Tuk the next day with the Killing Fields, this is a somber memorial now where the Khmer Rouge had executed several thousand Cambodians who didn't fit Pol Pot's mold for a perfect society. They have excavated several of the mass burial graves, and built a large memorial which is filled with the skulls from the graves. This was little disturbing and although these parts of the trip are not my favourite they are good reminders that evil like this has taken place and is still going on today.

After the killing fields we headed
Mamma's got tittiesMamma's got tittiesMamma's got titties

This is the winner
to S-21, which again was another somber place that showed how vile the Khmer Rouge were. The prison cells showed us the conditions prisoners endured prior to their executions. The walls are lined with pictures of prisoners and informative plaques that tell the story of the Khmer Rouge and have actual testimony of Khmer Rouge soldiers. The whole experience that day was a lot to see but it is very uplifting to see how Cambodians are very friendly people and seem well adjusted even having suffered this horrendous regime less than 30 years ago.

Well until the next one....

Matt & Tyne


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb