Phnom Penh and Shianoukville - Cambodia Crazy!!!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
August 31st 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

First of all apologies for the gap between the last Blog and this one, since our last Blog we have finished our whistle stop tour of Cambodia and have since returned to Thailand where we have headed for the famous Thai island of Koh Phi Phi.

Phnom Penh -

After leaving Siem Reap we headed to Phnom Penh where we only planned to spend a few days relaxing in some city life before travelling down towards the coast and the coastal town of Shianoukville. Unlike most people in Phnom Penh we weren’t really that interested to go and see the killing fields of Pol Pots Khmer regime and the infamous S21. We just wanted somewhere we could relax for a few days, go and take in a few sights and continue to plan the next step in our Asian adventure.
Phnom Penh was a shock to the senses after the relaxed vibe that we had experienced in Siem Reap, the roads were dusty, exhaust fumes filled the air and every metre on the back of a tuk tuk introduced a new and even more vile stench.
Having said all of that, there is some very nice bits of culture to see if you take the time to see them, for example the national museum holds some priceless artefacts which are still in excellent condition, there is also many small pieces of stone work which have been brought here from many of the temples around Cambodia including the mysterious and majestic Angkor Wat. The national palace is also very pleasing on the eye and quite a spectacle to see.
When wandering the streets during the day and evenings all aspects of Cambodian life can be seen, reminders of the countries history haunt the streets in the shape of beggars and mine victims trying to make a living rather than just purely begging.
After spending a week spent wandering and catching up some time on the internet we decided to head south to the coast and the town of Shianoukville.

Shianoukville -

We left Phnom Penh on a air conditioned bus heading toward the coast and four hours later we arrived safe and sound, Shianoukville is a town slowly growing in popularity for partying and for muck diving with travellers and divers a like. It is a fairly small town and still quite basic but it holds all the basics needed to become a true travellers haven, sun, se, sand and even good old English roast dinners!!
All in all we spent a week in shianoukville, taking in the relaxed atmosphere and soaking up the sun. The diving is very much muck diving specialising in small macro critters which suited me perfectly especially as there was plenty for me to keep my camera busy. We even managed to squeeze in a roast beef dinner with all the trimmings when we were there!!

After leaving Shianoukville we heading back to Phnom Penh before flying into Thailand for the last leg of Asian adventure. All in all we really enjoyed our time in Cambodia and would definitely recommend a visit to anyone even if it is to see Angkor Wat!!

Hope all is well at home and enjoy the pictures!!

Andy and Lucy.
xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

ArtefactArtefact
Artefact

Phnom Penh Museum


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb