Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 2nd 2009
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arrived from KL a little late due to some person not boarding the plane though his luggage did! So by the time they took it off we were over half hour late leaving. Musical chairs on Air Asia, was a laugh nobody except the westerners staying in their correct seats I think! Even though we given seat numbers and asked by the stewardess a number of times to stay in correct seating!

VOA was a little nightmare, quite chaotic, but eventually we all had our visa's and through immigration and customs. Our driver was holding a sign with my name and a big smile. Took about 1/2 hour to get to The Pavillion, really nice hotel and the staff seem lovely. It is an old villa been done up.

Dumped our bags and headed out for a beer, but unfortunately headed off in the wrong direction and got quite lost! Ended up finding a flash hotel and asked directions. They led us through the hotel out the back past the tennis courts and pointed us in the right direction. Another half hour later we were sitting down with a cold Angkor in our hands!

Food throughout our stay has been very very tasty. I think much nicer than Vietnam and maybe on a par with Thailand. Had a nice meal, and walked back to the hotel (found out the way this time!).

Next morning up early and organised a tuk tuk to take us to the prison museum and the killing fields. Got ripped off, but thats fairly usual for me! But I was happy enough with the price or else I wouldnt have paid it.

The museum was really sad and had some horrific photo's in it. Watch the movie which was a little long, sort of a love story, but the ending was very interesting. Was awfully hot in the room though. We got a guide and she was telling us her story of when she was young, and how she had to walk out of phnom Penh with her brother and mother and father heading towards battenbang. It took them 3 months, and then her brother and father were killed. When it was all over she had to walk back to Phnom Penh with her mother who was very ill and find a job. She then was only 13yrs old. The prison was a very sobering experience.

From there our friendly tuk tuk driver took us to the killing fields. On the way it started to rain or should I say pour bucket loads. Stopped just before we arrived and we managed to visit the memorial. I was walking around the perimeter of the place and it started all over again to rain. I was drenched. Stopped in a gazebo with some canadian girls for a short time, but as the rain was not letting up decided to make a run for it and at least get back to the gate. So slip sliding (it is clay) I finally managed to get under a tiny bit of shelter. Len Glenda Kyle and Phil were at another memorial and not wet at all! So we really did not do justice to having a good look round. The rain did not look like it was going to stop so decided to call it a day and head back to the hotel so I could change clothing.

When we got back I sent Glenda across the street to buy some poncho's, I'm not getting wet again! Wandered down to the riverfront (during a break from the showers) and had some lunch, was quite late and we all starving especially kyle! Ate far too much and drank a few too many beers! Tea will be late tonight and will have to be a light meal. The Khmer curry's are to die for. I think quite fattening though with all the coconut cream.

Caught tuk tuk back to hotel, kyle had a swim and i sat at the bar drinking with the others.
Walked to the FCC bar for a drink, was packed. Massive electrical storm on very speccy. Going to come back for lunch tomorrow as the food looks very nice and has a few different dishes we havent seen out on the street. Also is a dollar or two more expensive I might add! But it is one of the things you have to do in Phnom Penh. Its like going to the Raffles in Singapore!

Bought some fried crickets to try tonight, a dollar for a bag of them! Sat down at a restaurant on the river and a little girl selling books asked me if she could have one. Of course I said yes and she and I think her brother proceeded to polish them off! (We all bar Phil did try them, you take the legs off and the wings and eat the rest, crunchy, a little sweet, but definately not unpleasant, not sure though I'd eat them regularly!) Then another boy came up to Len and was getting him and Kyle to do hand tricks. He was a card and very entertaining. His 'pimp' lady, though was nearby and was giving him a hard time we think to try and sell us a book. She (the lady) had about 20 of these kids going up and down the street begging and selling stuff. They would have to come back to her and hand over the money. At the end of our meal, we had a fried egg that was leftover from a dish and the original little girl asked if she could have it. She told me though that I had to put it in a paper towel to give to her as she was not allowed to eat it otherwise. Tonight if we see her we will buy her and her brother a meal as I refuse to give these children money.

Today we hit the Russian market and Central Market with lunch at the FCC in between. The Central market is by far the more interesting, especially with their fruit/veg/meat/fish section. Was not very smelly, a few different things that i had not seen before. One of them was shredding coconut and then putting it in a press to get out the coconut milk or creme. Not sure which and nobody spoke enough english to tell us.

Len and Phil went to a snooker hall, that turned into a kareoke bar. Not impressed! Tonight they (or should I say Len!) have plans to take Kyle to a girlie bar for a little educating! Tomorrow morning we head to Siem Reap by bus, so will do the next installment from there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb