The rest of Angkor and more


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
January 8th 2008
Published: January 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, we finished our 3-day tour of the Angkor temples and have moved on now. They were truly incredible, but a little overwhelming to try to take in so many in such a short time. Many of them began to look alike toward the end, but just being out amongst the trees, temples, and ruins was something that I didn't get tired of. I don't think I'm going to try to describe the other temples in detail due to my inability to and this keyboard which is terrible. Anyways, there were some very large temples, some that were overrun by nature, and some with some intricate sculpture and carvings. All and all, very cool. I have a lot of pictures, of which I'll try to post a few tomorrow (still having issues finding reliable batteries here).

Today we took a bus from Siem Reap down to Phnom Phen. The road was paved the entire way and the trip was only 5 hours, so not too bad. PP seems pretty bad so far, but still interesting. It is the biggest city in Cambodia, and it shows. The city is very crowded and very dirty, and there are a lot of people trying to push things on us and begging. We went to the national museum today which was alright, there were some pretty cool sculptures, but not much else. Tomorrow we are going to the grand palace, which also contains the silver pagoda, and then on to a museum about the Khmer Rouge and then out to the killing fields themselves, so it should be a very interesting day. Then we flee the city the next morning and make for a more natural setting. We have had a few meals at the cheaper stalls that weren't very good, so we might just stick to the fancier places and pay $2.50 per meal instead of $1.50-$2.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb