Soo-a s'day!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
December 11th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

National beerNational beerNational beer

only $1, look at the empty cans in the background!
soo-a s'day (hello) from cambodia,

How weird does that feel for us, time is going so quickly at the min its abit surreal. Just a few months ago we were looking at all the pics and reading books about going away and know were in the mix of it all. Our first glimpses were of a slightly more developed country, well at least Phnom Pehn seems to be. Getting off the fastboat we headed for something to eat before deciding where we were going to stay. One thing that doesn't change around the southeast asia countries is being bombarded by tuk-tuk drivers all the time! We figured that it was easier to get in a tuk-tuk in the even hotter, humid heat and have them drive us around different hotels, than to walk it as it is quite a large city. It costs next to nothing to be driven around and after the previous couple of days it suited us. We found a nice hotel called the 'Flamingo', so we checked on, dumped our stuff and headed for the roof top bar for happy hour. We had the most amazing view of the sunset it was beautiful.

Just before
sunset over phnom penhsunset over phnom penhsunset over phnom penh

view from rooftop bar
we arrived in Cambodia, a couple told us that it wasnt really safe to be walking around when dark in Phnom Pehn as there were alot of muggings etc, so we went to a nearby 'restaurant'. The reason we say 'restaurant' is because when we walked in there was about 20 girls behind the bar, all fully dressed in their scutty gear. Looking around there was a few older western guys sat with a couple of girls on each side-i wonder what he was up to??? It had clicked, our hotel was opposite a brothel! Well we had dinner there anyway and the food was actually really good, but we had to laugh at our choice of area!

We had arranged with the tuk-tuk driver to pick us up the next morning at 9am to take us to see all the sights, as the city was too big to do on foot. It also worked out stupidly cheap and he waited for us outside ever sight until we had finished. We paid $4 each for the day, which is about 2 pounds. First we visited the royal palace and silver pagoda, which was really beautiful. It was like a
Gecko!Gecko!Gecko!

there are hundreds in cambodia! Great!
royal house how you expected it to be, like something from a film set. It was huge and the architecture was very different to what we've previously seen. We then went to Wat Phnom temple but was no where near impressive, even though the surrounding areas had monkeys running around. There was also a random elephant, which you can have rides on, but it didn't look particulary happy, so we didn'twant to ruin its day any more. Because of the convenience of having the tuk-tuk, we had time to see the russian market before lunch. It was abit manic there with so many fake shoes, bags, belts, wallets, clothes it was redonkulous (ridiculous, but we got this word from kate our canadian friend), but good for a little mouch.

We found a nice little restaurant, which was opposite the genecide musuem, so decided to eat there. The museum was good but you prepare for the worst and me and Rob were expecting it to be much gorier than what it was. But it was strange, as it was a school turned into the S-21 prison, where 14,000 people were tortured before taken to the killing fields (to be killed
the royal palacethe royal palacethe royal palace

open your eyes rob!
there). In the prison there were still blood stains on the wall and floors, where the guards had tourtured the inmates.

The next day we got our tuk-tuk driver to pick us up to take us to the killing fields, this is where the tortured victims from S-21 were brought to be killed. The pits in which the victims were put into, some were big and some small, yet hundreds were put into them. The clothes in which they were wearing were stuck in the ground, along with bones, which are still visible to the eye. The next day we got on the Angkor express to take us to Siem Reap. It was the most luxurious bus we had been on yet.

Until next time, party on dudes

Rob and Han x x x x x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

crazy palm tree!crazy palm tree!
crazy palm tree!

next to one of the royal out buildings
the dance hall the dance hall
the dance hall

It's decorated with so many coloured tiles, quite impressive. Must have a good roofer!
The temple areaThe temple area
The temple area

To go anywhere we had to have knees and shoulders covererd and no shoes inside buildings.
the spirethe spire
the spire

It has faces all the way around it, this is also in alot of the paintings inside too.
A spirit houseA spirit house
A spirit house

Every household has one It is a home for spirits to go to and is considered lucky if you keep your spirits happy, they make it as comfortable as poss for them by giving offerings of food and lighting jos sticks.
Rob in the surrounding gardensRob in the surrounding gardens
Rob in the surrounding gardens

small shrines and buddha statues are dotted about all over the place, quite cool.
BuddhaBuddha
Buddha

Cool dude!
boys playing traditional musicboys playing traditional music
boys playing traditional music

iside one of the prayer halls.
clever girl!clever girl!
clever girl!

at wat phnom temple
What are you looking at?!What are you looking at?!
What are you looking at?!

at wat phnom temple, monkeys in the park.
S21 prisonS21 prison
S21 prison

you can see how it used to be a school.
One of the beds where a body was foundOne of the beds where a body was found
One of the beds where a body was found

look at the pic above the bed, thats how they found the guy, thats the actual pic! gruesome!
tortured to deathtortured to death
tortured to death

graphic but this is one of the dead men they found.
The gallowsThe gallows
The gallows

men were strung up until unconsious,then dipped into fertiliser to wake them up and restart the process.
Rob behind barsRob behind bars
Rob behind bars

Scared rob?
blood stains on the floorblood stains on the floor
blood stains on the floor

this made it so real for us!
the size of the cellsthe size of the cells
the size of the cells

so cramped, and they were shackled too.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb