October 13


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
October 13th 2007
Published: October 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

National MuseumNational MuseumNational Museum

Outside of the natonal Museaum in Phnom Penh. The ancient Khmer workmanship of the artifacts inside was impressive!
Today was a day for visiting the city of Phnom Penh. We started with the National Museum with displays of ancient statuary, bells, weapons of war and iron jewelry (ankle bracelets).
We visited 2 tailors for suits and shirts for the guys. As Kendal speaks Khmer, it was fun to watch him bargain good and fair prices. We had lunch at the Freebird Bar and Grill; great american food from a guy who owns Hooligans (a bar?) in Pocatello, Idaho. Then we met up with the Lymans; serving for the humanitarian services of the LDS Church. Together we all visited SR 21 the detention and torture site of the Khmer Rouge. We also visited the killing fields where those who survived SR21 were taken to be killed then buried in mass graves. The experience was very sobering. Many of the mass graves have be excavated but the toll of lives will probably never be fully known.
The city has come to life as many people have returned from Pchum Bun (holiday for returning to your ancestral home area to honor your family roots). The traffic congestion soared. It was crazy before, now the streets are clogged with motorcycles, scooters, tuk tuks
Royal Palace GateRoyal Palace GateRoyal Palace Gate

Gate to the official residence of King Norodom Sihoumani.
and cars. We saw 5 people on a small motorcycle and the women ride sidesaddle. Kurt's note; it was pointed out to me, and was soon proved to be true, that traffic lights are merely suggestions. Motorists do as they darn well please. More than once we were sure of witnessing a horrendous accident, but everything worked out at the last second.
It has been a long but informative day. The heat and humidity leave your clothes sticking to you as the sweat runs down your back, then you reach for a drink of water thinking it will cool you off. No way! The day just gets hotter!
Renee


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Royal Palace CompoundRoyal Palace Compound
Royal Palace Compound

Ok, so it's his 'official' residience, but the public can tour it daily. Just where does he really stay????????
Renee, Cam, & KendalRenee, Cam, & Kendal
Renee, Cam, & Kendal

Taken before we started to melt from the heat & humidity.
Genocide MuseumGenocide Museum
Genocide Museum

This used to be a High School, but the Khmer Rouge turned it in S.R. 21, their notorious prison/torture center. It is empty now except for pictures of the victims and the tools used on them.
Monks at S.R. 21 Genocide MuseumMonks at S.R. 21 Genocide Museum
Monks at S.R. 21 Genocide Museum

While we were there a group of Buddhist monks showed up to tour it.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb