A surprising place to find amazing food...


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
September 14th 2005
Published: October 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The river journey and border crossing was surprisingly painless and in five hours we had arrived in Phnom Penh. We were not even allowed to disembark the boat before being hassled and yelled at to stay in this or that guest house or to take this tuk tuk or that taxi! Finally we made a decision and asked to be taken to a hotel of our choice only to be told that it had closed! Thinking that this was another scam our driver took us to the (closed) hotel and then drove us to one that he recommended - it was ok so we stayed after negotiating a price. After looking at the LP for a recommended restaurant we set off to look for it. Eventually we walked into the place that we thought it was only to be stopped by a lady asking us if we really wanted to go to the "karaoke bar". Apparently "karaoke" in some parts of Asia means something else entirely..... After that experience we sought refuge in an American style bar and had a burger and chips. We were both surprised how tasteless it was compared to some of the delicious meals we had eaten since arriving in Asia.

The following day marked Sara's birthday!! I had managed to find some candles in Hoi An (after some actions and drawings!!) but no cake so had to stick them to the card and light them in the toilet to surprise her!! The fan in the room then blew them out before Sara had the chance! We spent the day wandering around one of the markets in town and went to a nice hotel for an afternoon cocktail followed by some culture wandering around an art exhibition with a difference. Sculptures were created from decommissioned weapons. It was strange to look at this clever artwork but bizarre at the same time to think that they had been used for more sinister purposes in their former state. After freshening up in the hotel we headed out to continue the birthday celebrations at the Ginger Monkey to sample their cocktails (thanks for the offer to settle the bar bill Dad!!). Finished the day with a great meal at the colonnial style Foreign Correspondents Club on the river front.

Another cultured day took us to the National Museum and the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda that we took our time wandering around in between rainstorms. Our best discovery in Phnom Penh was Friends Restaurant - handily round the corner from our hotel. This project was established to help support street children and their families by providing shelter, education and training - a great idea. The food,service and setting are fantastic. Anyone visiting there should check it out.

www.streetfriends.org


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb