Glad to leave Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 9th 2018
Published: February 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

So I ran out of steam blogging in Phnom Penh, you may be relieved to note, mainly because we didn’t do much, didnt like it much (for the second time) and I didn’t feel too great for 24 hours of it. Sam was ok with the hostel, but for me I was at the edge of ok-ness. We will not be staying at the Lucky Gecko again. The room only had a window onto the corridor, this was a bit noisy but not too much of a problem, and there were no bedbugs as I thought there might be but the sheets were covered in stains. They had been washed but were still very off putting and the bathroom was horrible. The bath mat made your feel black when stepped on with wet feet, the grout was black and vile and the toilet was a stranger to a good brushing. It just wasn’t good enough. I couldn’t bear even to take photos! The guys were very friendly and there was a mix of ages. The drinks were overpriced and in Sam’s opinion disgusting. So for the price it was probably as expected, but for us we need to throw a bit more money at it to feel relaxed!

We did go over to the Hotel Cambodiana to use their pool on both days. It was 10$ and we were just about the only people there. There was a lovely breeze next to the river and we had comfy sunbeds and towels. The food was the usual overpriced nonsense, 3$ for a coke. Oh well.....

We were glad (as glad as you can be) to get on the tuktuk we’d organised the night before to go to the airport. 10$. Has to be done the night before as there is no one in the street at that time, although a lot of little shops and stalls were doing business. Also if you tried to do it there and then you’d have no negotiating power, they’d know you were desperate. It was about 35 mins to get there as there wasn’t a lot of traffic, but can take MUCH longer, up to 2 hours, in a taxi at busy times.

So although it wasn’t the best place we were still glad to go again. You see something different every time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb