Bokor Hill Station in south Cambodia, crossing the border to Vietnam


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Bokor Hill Station
July 24th 2007
Published: December 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bokor Hill StationBokor Hill StationBokor Hill Station

The clouds give an eerie feeling on the top of this mountain in the old French hill station.


We hopped on a bus from Phnom Penh down to Kampot in the south of Cambodia. The little town of Kampot was pretty empty and there really wasn't much going on. People mainly come to visit on their way to see Bokor national park and the deserted French hill station up in the mountains. The next day we took a day trip in a pick up truck up to the park - two hours in the back of a pick up on the bumpiest dirt road up the mountain. It was easier to stand in the back than to get the Cambodian massage of the rugged road. At one point we came upon 2 Korean tourists who were trying to make their way up on a motorbike - that would be next to impossible, so we picked them up too.
We made our way up and trekked a bit to the waterfall before visiting the Bokor Hill station - the clouds swept up eerily over the deserted buildings. The tropical climate
ChurchChurchChurch

Khmer Rouge had taken over this church during the late 70s and lived here.
made the deserted buildings look much older than they actually were - the hill station was built in the 20's, but the hotel/casino closed in the 70's. We later went on a little river cruise before heading back.

The next day we got a taxi to the Vietnamese border. Even though they said it would take 20 minutes, it took us about a couple hours, driving down dusty dirt roads in the Cambodian countryside. by the time we reached the border, our bags were covered in dust, as were we. We went on foot to the other side, only to find that we weren't actually in the town we wanted to go to - Chao Doc, but rather still a good 40km away. The only option at that point was to get 2 motorbikes to take us. I'm still not the most comfortable on the back of a motorbike - the driver put my heavy backpack in front and I got on the back. With bare legs and flip flops, there's not much protection...



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Bumpy Road up to Bokor Hill StationBumpy Road up to Bokor Hill Station
Bumpy Road up to Bokor Hill Station

On the back of a pick up truckf or a couple hours on the bumpiest road I've ever seen - Cambodian Massage!
Waterfall in Bokor National ParkWaterfall in Bokor National Park
Waterfall in Bokor National Park

We took a refreshing shower in this waterfall. It's shallow enough to walk over to the other side.
Do not Sleep hereDo not Sleep here
Do not Sleep here

sign inside the deserted hotel
River cruiseRiver cruise
River cruise

out of Kampot


Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb